How are things going?

0 favourites
  • I'm pretty certain Construct isn't used solely by 12 year old beginner devs.

THAT

There are lots of Construct users who browse the forums in read-only format, like me.

I am using Construct to make games, not to chat on forums.

Some people in the community (a vary small quantity of them in fact) are spitting poison at some of Scirra's decisions, but it was discussed so many times already that i don't care about them anymore.

I use Construct for what it's created for - making games. Yes, there are some problems here and there, but they are either addressed or i find some workarounds until they are fixed.

• FWIW the GDPR issue is actively being worked on. There are comments from Iain on the GitHub issues discussing some of the complications and his approach to solving them. Unfortunately sometimes things end up being more complicated than anticipated, but I think we've been reasonably open about what's happening with that.

Believe it or not we have other developers who continue working on other things in the mean time. In fact the new templates were developed by Kyatric and not one of the main Construct developers, so that didn't really take up any of our developer time at all. The idea we should hold back anything new even if it's done just because there might be other issues seems pretty bizarre to me.

I think we've done a great job with Construct 3 and I'm really happy with the way things are going overall. Most of our development resources have been taken up with work on the C3 runtime and the new timeline, both of which are major, long-term projects. I think by the end of this year a lot of that work will be approaching done and we'll have more time to accelerate work on new features.

• One thing I will say as a new user with not much experience with C3 is that I rather like all the quick patch releases and updates! I think Scirra should be congratulated on that alone, as many of these types of engines have rather slow releases and updates (Game Maker Studio and Xojo to name a few).

I haven't really dug into making a game in C3 yet, but I know generally if there's a reported and confirmed bug in the engine itself, it'll more or less be fixed within a short space of time, guaranteed.

• Really looking forward to the timeline feature!

• It's summer, we're all more or less on vacation, but I want, because it's important to point out and remember it: there is absolutely no sexism on the Discord Constructive channel and certainly also in the bottom otherwise on the others. There are certainly and sometimes people who troll without knowing it, and who then amuse themselves to play the victims, believe themselves above all, in professional mode and without diplomas, without true and long experience from real past. But this has absolutely nothing to do with being a woman or a man. This is an attitude, and from which if people are treated by these same people, for example "asshole" repeatedly, insulting people in public as in private, for no reason, believe in above all because disconnected from a certain form of reality, so yes, the rules, as on any space, any community, must be respected, and this, regardless of gender, sexuality, origins, religion, etc... That and this is the true feminism, the rest is low-level sexism or even madness. Cheers!

• Uhhh. I think this topic slightly derivated from it's original goal, so let's get back to the original subject.

The software is really great. C3 is doing well according to scirra.

Everything is evolving and I can only foresee a bright future for Construct 3.

The community hasn't really changed since Construct Classic. Just different people. It's always been the same, with your same amount of kinda toxic people but it's not important. Most people are just happy with how everything is and there is no reason to think that anything will go badly.

Now I'd really like the few people who used their post to send a negative message about a part of the community (namely the said discord server) or about scirra to stop doing that.

Guys this is not a discord server war field nor a place to send your frustration to. So stop it.

Now I hope that you'll have a great time using Construct again, and everyone else in the community will be happy to help you if you have questions.

• Thank you Skymen to remember it, because otherwise it's too easy and an open door for too many and precisely victimisations. In addition, some people seem to dig their own truth and modesty because of their own behavior on which they should work rather than continue to pass people for idiots or students when it comes down to them like a boomerang.

So for the OP, and after many protests: C3 is great, and will grow again!

• Ashley, I'd recommend diverting your resources to fix issues such as GDPR as soon as possible. A new runtime and timeline should not take precedence over core functionality. Many of us have been blocked for months due to GDPR issues, and the GDPR issue being "worked on" could take months more.

• Last I used it a couple months back, C3 was pretty fantastic, and the few times that I've posted bug reports the issue was handled quickly by Ashely. I love some of the basic quality of life changes since C2 (being able to right-click on an object and find all references to it is a major time saver), but without a way to get onto the Switch, I'm currently trying out GameMaker Studio 2, and Clickteam.

I don't find either as usable as C3, and I would never leave, but I want to get my work on the Switch, and that's just not possible with C3 right now. :(

• JLH1964

Ashley, I'd recommend diverting your resources to fix issues such as GDPR as soon as possible. A new runtime and timeline should not take precedence over core functionality. Many of us have been blocked for months due to GDPR issues, and the GDPR issue being "worked on" could take months more.

Actually. Core functionalities are the C3Runtime and Timeline features. Just so you know.

Though I'm not against your idea as I'm focused on mobile development myself.

But priority is and must always be at the core.

And GDPR is only a platform-specific feature.

Getting it worked-on is already enough. Many core features aren't even as prioritized as the GDPR feature/issue.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • glerikud

The Excellent things about the Current Construct 3.

It went better than what I've expected from Construct 3 on its release. Initially Construct 3 was an impractical option until these features came:

1. Batched Spritesheet.
    2. Better Performance with large projects. Which, Construct 2 has problems with.
    3. Reference :: https://bit.ly/2MioPIu
    4. C3 Runtime.
    5. Faster Preview Time for large projects.
    6. Faster Loading Time for large projects.
    7. Better Support for bug reports.
    8. Cloud Build Service.

The initial state of Construct 3.

Although before those features, a lot of problems were present, and most of them were crashes. It was only at the start of 2018, it went practically smooth to use. But that is to be understood from a newly made program. But when Construct 3 was too early, a lot of in-editor bugs were hard to handle. Like,

1. Very frequent unpredictable crashes.
    2. Buttons not working / delayed. Takes a few minutes to seconds before it worked.
    3. Things just go bizarre.
    4. And LMAO... More crashes.

Not to mention that the initial Construct 3, used the same runtime as Construct 2. It was called the C2Runtime and also the initial C3Runtime was far slower than the C2runtime.

The current state of Construct 3.

Now, Construct 3 is more practical to use compared to Construct 2, unless you want more control and extend the engine features by using the hidden or undocumented runtime methods.

And also, a lot of addons were already ported to Construct 3, using c2runtime.

Although, there is a another new thing that is in-demand of porting, from the time of this writing. Those are supporting the C3Runtime. Which was then just quite recently proven to be more efficient and better in performance compared to the C2runtime.

This is a very great news for Mobile Game Developers as it lengthens the time before the Mobile Phone heats up, decreases CPU usage and increases performance.

The issues with the current Construct 3.

With that all said, a lot of problems are still present by using Construct 3.

Some of those are ::

1. A lot of Construct 2 Essential Plugins can't be ported to the C3runtime. Because of the lacking SDK features.
    2. A lot of Construct 3 plugins still doesn't support the C3Runtime. Either not yet, or can't.
    3. The Editor still has some bugs still left unreported. Either missed or hard to report. I've encountered lots of hard to report bugs, which is best left unreported and focus on the others.
    4. Construct 3 still doesn't have a Preloader Feature unlike Construct 2. In which case, an official one.
    5. Construct 3 has a good remote preview. But projects with larger assets, sometimes don't load or at least not properly.
    6. The Construct 3 runtime is still at its early stages and most likely have some significant bugs and issues.

Construct 3's overtime progress.

But still, considering, Construct 3 is doing very well. And maybe in time, these problems will be solved.

As bugs are reported. :: github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues

As new features that are in-development will be finally made after a few months or years. :: construct3.ideas.aha.io

As new suggestions will be accepted. :: construct3.ideas.aha.io

Even though with the improvements, it would still be very great if Ashley and the were to find a way to hasten things up more.

Welcome back! And I hope that shed some light.

• You did a really good job with that post. Hats off :)

• NoSoul8

You did a really good job with that post. Hats off :)

Thanks! :D

• A lot of Construct 2 Essential Plugins can't be ported to the C3runtime. Because of the lacking SDK features. A lot of Construct 3 plugins still doesn't support the C3Runtime. Either not yet, or can't.

That´s why I decided to only support the c3runtime if I make a new plugin. It saves me the headache of supporting two runtimes that work differnetly (I bet Ashley can relate) not to mention one of them is going to be deprecated in the forseeable future.

About the "lacking SDK features" and plugins that "can´t be ported"... what exactly is lacking and what plugins can´t be ported? I´ve never dabbled around in the SDK until recently so I dunno, I´ve heard that argument a couple of times but never with any specifics. Also... did Ashley say that he won´t implement these lacking features because reasons?

• WackyToaster

About the "lacking SDK features" and plugins that "can´t be ported"... what exactly is lacking and what plugins can´t be ported? I´ve never dabbled around in the SDK until recently so I dunno, I´ve heard that argument a couple of times but never with any specifics. Also... did Ashley say that he won´t implement these lacking features because reasons?

Well, this started with Construct 2.

Back then, before Construct 3, developers were in need of features that unfortunately didn't convince Scirra to develop. Fortunately, the Construct 2 Engine's runtime is open and available to be reviewed, including the addons.

These forced them to lurk deep into the runtime and look for some useful ways into achieving their goals. These aren't unusual though, since Scirra themselves recommended to look at the engine to learn how to achieve features not included in the SDK. Although not that deep as manipulating or reading the engine's core. It was actually supposed to be more focused on conventional addon development.

But there were times when developers got desperate when their feature requests got declined repeatedly, even though they were confident that those are essential features. Those resulted in trying to use deep engine code to achieve their features. Hence, addons like the Preloader Plugin by was made.

The Preloader Plugin are one of essential the addons I know that have the same cause and effect.

Also, this is one of the plugins that can't be ported to the C3Runtime completely. Although, as I've reviewed the SDK, I think it is quite possible to simulate but not as complete as the C2 version. So, an official addon is a better choice, especially when done officially, it can then be more compatible with the engine.

The point is that, there are plugins including the one I mentioned that can't be ported to the C3Runtime for these similar or exact reasons like using undocumented methods/codes.

That's how I understand it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)