Is it theoretically possible to have a tilemap with tiles that are z-axis independent?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Piano tiles
$9.99 USD
Template for a piano tiles game, fully documented in comments and video
  • Wherein you could move a single tile from one layer to the next while the other tiles remain at their innate z index?

Example case: Imagine you have a tilemap object in a layer above another tilemap object, but you wanted to place a tile from the above layer below the other tilemap.

In a normal case, I'd expect the player to duplicate the above tilemap object and place it below the other tilemap, like so:

Above Tilemap

Below Tilemap

Above Tilemap (Copy)

I'm assuming tiles automatically retain the z index property of the tilemap, but could this somehow be modified so that the tiles are "liberated"?

• Unfortunately I can't answer your question but boy, I'd love a 3d tilemap object. I can't stop thinking about it since the addition of the new 3d shapes. That would be such a great addition for so many of my games (mostly grid based puzzle games).

• That's an interesting point, a 3d tilemap is essentially what I'm inquiring about, now that I think about it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I suppose the strict answer is no.

But you could easily simulate it with multiple instances of the tilemap object, as you already described.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)