How to "stream" audio when navigating on a timeline

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
100+ Musical High Quality Sound Effects for your game!
  • Was hoping that someone might guide me on how to make an audio "update/stream" when a timeline jumps to a Tag/Keyframe.

I'm basically trying to sync audio and text paragraphs.

It works fine in a sequential manner but when i try to navigate what i'm seeing:

- play timeline/audio

- click to jump to Tag/Keyframe (timeline updates/audio pauses)

- click to resume timeline (timeline plays but audio resumes where it paused)

Would have liked if

- click to resume timeline (timeline plays and audio jumps/plays at the Tag/Keyframe audio runtime)

Similar to flash/animate audio "stream" option.

I also believe there is no way to goto and play a Tag/keyframe of a timeline? (instead of the two steps asking to go and then asking to play)

I also tried to manually set the audio tag after navigating the timeline but it didn't seem to work. (basically had no audio/it stopped so maybe something wrong)

Tagged:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Bump post

Hopefully someone can say if i'm interpreting things right/wrong.

If i haven't missed anything i'll just look at using an event system this weekend.

• Just out of curiosity is anyone else trying the timelines with audio?

• I tried it but the way it is implemented right now is unusable to me.

Proper Music streaming, scrubbing and resuming in editor and game is a must for me.

Hopefully the audio-timeline feature will be get some additonal love in the future as it would be a great tool in theory.

• hcatarrunas

Sorry for not responding earlier, I took last week off.

Resuming timeline playback should resume audio from the position the timeline's playhead is at. The reason it is not working properly is because I didn't take into account that Set time effectively pauses a timeline and later playback could be resumed from a different position than the last it was paused in.

I also believe there is no way to goto and play a Tag/keyframe of a timeline? (instead of the two steps asking to go and then asking to play)

I agree this would be a good addition to the actions available to the Timeline plugin.

I also tried to manually set the audio tag after navigating the timeline but it didn't seem to work. (basically had no audio/it stopped so maybe something wrong)

The audio tag property that you can set in the editor is only useful to be able to use the Audio plugin's actions and conditions with audio that is played from a timeline. In this particular case it will make no difference if it is set or not.

Can you share a project that shows how you are trying to use the feature? That will be useful to iron out these issues.

• fedca

Hopefully in the near future I can get around to working a little bit more in the feature. Out of the features you mentions I left scrubbing out of the initial release because it was not immediately obvious how to implement it and I preferred to get something out to gauge interest and get feedback.

• DiegoM

sounds great, looking forward too see whats next!

yea scrubbing is probably mostly useful for in-editor and not that much at runtime.

I hope music playback in editor is coming soon :)

• Sorry for not responding earlier, I took last week off.

No problem i also got dragooned by family to help with olive picking and laser cutting a new door sign for my parents, so didn't have much time for C3 hobby :p

I agree this would be a good addition to the actions available to the Timeline plugin.

Hopefully you'll consider adding the option to start audio in current keyframe (applying the current "start offset" with the current timeline time)

The audio tag property that you can set in the editor is only useful to be able to use the Audio plugin's actions and conditions with audio that is played from a timeline. In this particular case it will make no difference if it is set or not.

Can you share a project that shows how you are trying to use the feature? That will be useful to iron out these issues.

I've been trying to reproduce in C3 what we used to do in the company in flash for kids animations/activities.

In this case having a short story text (ex. three little pigs) and then having each paragraph highlight with the audio, and some images at some points.

- No difficulty with current timeline if it plays start to finish.

- when trying to use buttons to navigate paragraphs i ran into the pause/resume problem in audio.

- haven't found a way to detect the location a user clicks in a text box (letter/word/paragraph), so that kind of navigation will probably have to be abandoned. (at least in a full dynamic text load like we used to do).

• Has someone who used mainly adobe products i've create some notes i'll leave here that might help some other users who are trying C3 and are a little lost on how to do the "simple things".

Animate object (manual):

Expected - click object in layout, create keyframe for start, navigate timeline, move object to desired position (creates/updates keyframes), repeat as needed.

C3 steps - add instance of object to timeline, add object X and object Y, enter editing mode, create keyframe for X and/or Y and update value, create more keyframes and update values.

Similar steps for common properties like: size, opacity, color, angle, etc. Import object add the properties and then change them in keyframes on the property layer.

Add audio:

Expected - choose a timeline location, create keyframe chose to add audio and set type of playback (start, stop, stream) and any effects (channels, fades)

C3 steps - currently the audio é placed at the start of the timeline (can be delayed with the "start offset"), and is a "event/start" mode. (no stop or stream in timeline for now)

You can add a tag to the audio and then use regular audio events to modify it.

Animate object (code):

Expected - create keyframes (object layer or empty layer), write code for object x and y movement

C3 steps - (currently there is no "event sheet" per keyframe to set code to be run at that point, could use the variable trick below to trigger event blocks)

Preview timeline:

Expected - drag along the timeline and preview the objects changes on the layout (always previews, onion skinning on/off to help distingsh animated objects)

C3 steps - enter edit mode, hold ctrl, then dragging along the timeline will preview the objects changes on the layout (only previews in this steps, no visual guide of animated objects)

General notes

I find it easier to create a keyframe anywhere on the timeline (so a random time) and then change in it's properties to the correct time.

If you have a list of keyframes planned, you can create everyone close to start and then edit them to the correct times.

Haven't found a use for value tracks yet, especially since there doesn't seem to be a way to preview the value on the timeline. (even if you add a keyframe between two valued keyframes)

You can zoom below scale 1 in the timeline using ctrl + mouse scroll wheel

You can add variables to you objects, "animate" the values on timeline, and then use them on your events.

This was how i "animated" object effect parameters on my intro tests. youtube.com/watch

• I had been working a little bit to improve the audio features of timelines. You can try the changes out in the latest beta.

In the process of working on the new features I found out that you can already navigate to specific keyframes at runtime. I completely forgot about that feature.

When using the Set Time action you can specify a numerical value, but also a string value. If the string matches the tags of a keyframe in the timeline, the time will be set to that of the matching keyframe.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)