Sound Effect sounds horrible (Fixed)

1 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
A total of 214 high quality and unique magic sound effects suitable for RPG, Battle Arena and more!
  • Hi

is this a bug?

Whenever I play the same sound multiple times it starts to crackling breaking the whole sounds effect and it sounds quite horrible, I tested around 200 sounds already for bouncing balls but they all have the same problem.

Am I doing something wrong? or is this a bug?

I just need that it plays the bouncing sound for each ball independent with as much clarity as possible so you can be able to distinguish many balls bouncing but at the moments doesn't sound like it, sounds more like a radio frequency broken.

Thanks

Demo Capx:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9nlcysafj6g6ea/ball%20audio%20bug.c3p?dl=0

• The sound effect is long and harsh with an echo so if you play it lots of times overlapping it's going to sound like that.

• I didn't notice any bug. But checking the debugger that 1 sound plays ~20 times at once. No sound is going to sound good 20 times at once.

Part of it is the sound itself has a long tail, so lots of opportunity to overlap and cause phasing issues. You should probably just use a much shorter sound, like 0.2 seconds. But to kind of fix it I did 2 things, first I simply cut the last 1 second out and added a fade out. Second I used a high pass filter to cut out the bass frequencies below 200 hz (sometimes if a bunch of low bass builds up it muddies up the sound).

Next I modified your events to limit the number of times a single sound file can play simultaneously. I did that using a dictionary. When a sound is played, I add it to the dictionary with the file name as the key and count the value up. When the sound ends I subtract 1 from that key. If the count of a specific sounds gets above a threshold then I just stop playing it until enough sounds end.

It sounded a bit better after I did those 2 things. I hope that helps!

• Hey lionz Fib Thanks for your help

I didn't notice any bug. But checking the debugger that 1 sound plays ~20 times at once. No sound is going to sound good 20 times at once.

Part of it is the sound itself has a long tail, so lots of opportunity to overlap and cause phasing issues. You should probably just use a much shorter sound, like 0.2 seconds.

Unfortunately for me, all the songs I tried didn't work for me and I tried a lot, between sort and long but it always adds that crackling sound.

Example:

Here is another one sort and that doesn't have any Echo, I limited it to Max 4 repeats but still does those weird cracks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ikio9mba80a3hyj/ball%20audio%20bug2.c3p?dl=0

Though I'm looking for a specific sound that has Echo which sadly I don't think is possible on construct.

This is the exact sound that I need, it's clean and clear when it does multi ball sound, it's from a similar game and normally it's much cleaner and better quality as I just recorded the sound with a cheap App, the game I think it's done on unity.

Single:

dropbox.com/s/ngq6ircilc7ey6v/multi%20balls-single.wav

Multy Ball:

dropbox.com/s/pa7wlwycma4epz6/multi%20balls1.wav

• I have done just a quick test, not sure if this is what you want and you might have to improve it, but it's kinda working. Probably need to use a better sound for multi ball.

• Thank you Biim Games

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me as still does that Cranky sound but I do appreciate the help.

I'm Contemplating removing the sound for the bouncing ball as I don't find any decent to put sadly (:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The crackling can comes from a poor sound interface that saturates with a similar sound playing/overlapping and causing natural saturation.

I've tried shooting a lot of balls on your last example, and modifying the time of shooting, causing some "phase" (overlapping sounds, different delays, and so on), and I couldn't get saturation, with only up to 5 sounds playing.

What you can do, is, when playing the sound, slightly modify the playback rate of the sound, so it doesn't actually sounds like the very same sound.

Adding a bit of randomness can make the sound a bit more nice to play and ear.

You can also play with the volume of the sounds. Adding a bit of randomness as well, in order to add some modulation.

This might help a bit.

Your bounce sound is pretty harsh from the start though, perhaps you could find a softer sound with less attack/harshness from the start.

You could edit the sound in a sound editor like Audacity, and what you would want to add to soften it would be some reverb (not echo).

Also, you could equalize it to reduce the high frequencies, and curve a little the middle frequencies to get some more roundness to the sound and yet keeping a certain impact.

Hopefully, adding some randomness and playing with the random values can help you find something more enjoyable as far as sound goes.

• another thing you can do is add a compressor (audio effect) to a "tag" and then play the sounds through that tag. this will not totally fix the volume but it will help a lot.

the compressor will act as a "limiter" and will try to squash the volume if it gets too loud.

play around with the Threshold (lower it) to get it right. And set the Knee to 0 (so its applied right away)

EDIT: also set the "attack" to something really short like 1 - but it all depends on your sound

• Hoh Woow Kyatric that were Awesome Tips :)))

Just with the set (random Rate & Random Volume) Actions, it gave a totally different and nice sound effect incredibly I didn't know that two settings like that could change the sound that much also it added some nice clean echo, I'm quite happy with the results this is the final sound to use on my Game with those fixes.

Here is it if anyone is curious:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f2goaant6jily0/Kiyatrick.wav?dl=0

This might help a bit.

Your bounce sound is pretty harsh from the start though, perhaps you could find a softer sound with less attack/harshness from the start.

You could edit the sound in a sound editor like Audacity, and what you would want to add to soften it would be some reverb (not echo).

Also, you could equalize it to reduce the high frequencies, and curve a little the middle frequencies to get some more roundness to the sound and yet keeping a certain impact.

Hopefully, adding some randomness and playing with the random values can help you find something more enjoyable as far as sound goes.

I haven't even tried yet the other Grate tips I will experiment with them as they sound what I was looking for to do.

I haven't even tried yet these Grate tips, I will experiment with them as they sound what I was looking for to do.

Thank you so much for all grate Tips is gonna be really helpful for now and the future, honestly I had no clue about audio as I thought you just need to find a nice sound and play, I see now like I will have to learn more about the topic.

• another thing you can do is add a compressor (audio effect) to a "tag" and then play the sounds through that tag. this will not totally fix the volume but it will help a lot.

the compressor will act as a "limiter" and will try to squash the volume if it gets too loud.

play around with the Threshold (lower it) to get it right. And set the Knee to 0 (so its applied right away)

Hey Jobel Thanks a lot, that was some really nice tip swell, I tested in combination with Kyatric one and both sound great together on the web but on the iPhones they get distorted with some noise at the end of the sound, it could be a bug on iOS, I will keep playing with it, anyway, this was a great tip too thanks for sharing, will be helpful for the future.

And Thanks to Everyone that helped I really appreciate it, hopefully, all the Grate Tips will help more people in the future.

My issue has been fixed :)))

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)