Scene Graph Hierarchy - Inherit Visibility?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
3D Rendered, High Resolution elements to create an apocalytic scene or war zone
  • Hi, is there any way to have scene graph children inherit the visibility and/or opacity of their parent? It seems its an important missing feature but maybe there is a reason for it?

Thanks

Tagged:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yeah, syncing visibility, opacity and z-order would be great additions to the scene graph.

• I'd like to point out I haven't forgotten about this feature request. I has come up a few times in the past, but I haven't been able to get to it.

• Whenever we finally get this - especially opacity - it'll be amazing!

• Don't forget Hierarchy Opacity is more complex than it seems. It's not just about syncing stuff.

I'm pretty sure we all want Construct to consider a whole Hierarchy as a "single image" when it comes to opacity.

If I have 3 objects stacked on top of each other and part of the same Hierarchy. If the Hierarchy is set to 20% opacity, I don't want to see each of those Objects through each other (like if each Object had a 20% opacity individually).

We probably want the whole hierarchy to be at 20% opacity, not individual parts.

Also what if one of the child had 50% opacity and then its parent changes its own opacity from 100% to 10% opacity ?

However if one day Construct had this possibility to render a Hierarchy as a single merged stuff, it would be nice.

Maybe it would also allow us to have effects applying to the whole Hierarchy as if it was a "single image/object".

But then it raises other issue regarding ZOrdering with other Objects that are not part of the Hierarchy. => most probably this "render as single image Hierarchy" option should be an option we don't want in other cases. And the ZOrder/Layer of the whole Hierarchy would be the ZOrder/Layer of the parent. (Child original ZOrder/Layer wouldn't be useful anymore, except for defining the ZOrder for each Objects that is part of the Hierarchy and maybe the position if Layers have different Parallax/Zoom scale)

=> it looks a bit like a rabbit hole

A probably easier way to achieve all those things would be to add the possibility to instanciate and reorder Layer at runtimes

• We probably want the whole hierarchy to be at 20% opacity, not individual parts.

This may not be possible, I guess. I will be happy if each object was at 20% opacity. It will still be very useful for hierarchies where objects don't overlap. Or for quick fading in/out effects, for example a complex dialogue window.

• Yeah true it can be useful for some usecases, but I'm pretty sure some people requesting for Hierarchy opacity don't realize this wouldn't be what they expect and it wouldn't solve their current issues.

As I said at the end of my previous post, I think the other use cases should be done with Layers and would be really easier to do with Instanciating + Reordering Layers at runtime.

• I'm happy if just every child object just follows the exact parent objects opacity level. What is says on the tin. :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)