[Resolved in Beta 289] - Animations Editor Not Saving Image Points & Bounding Boxes/Polygon Points

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • I'm not sure if this is a bug, or just a matter of Construct 3 being web based. But, I've noticed for a while now(across many new versions) that within the Animations editor. It doesn't always hold the image points I set, or the way I setup the bounding box.

I will set either one(image point(s) or bounding box(es)) on a Sprite in the Animations Editor. Switch over to a different animation, or close it all together. Then run into issues in game, only to go back to the Animations Editor, and see that it changed back to what it was originally.

This causes me to constantly triple check everything. Or close animations editor, save project, then double check the animations editor. I've come up with some tricks so it doesn't matter for certain objects. But, certain objects where I need it to be the way I've set it, can be very time consuming. Especially if it has many frames for the animation.

I haven't submitted a formal bug report, as I'm not exactly sure what is causing it. Not sure if I'm just jumping around from animations/frames too quickly or what. Seems to happen often if I have either the image point, or bounding box option selected on the left side tool bar, then crop/resize the image(s). Then go to change the image point/bounding boxes afterwards. It seems like it takes it. But, if I move from frame to frame quickly it will sometimes jump back to where it was right after the resize or cropping.

Not really sure what to make of it. Or if anyone else in the community has noticed this issue. I've seen this happen in both Brave Browser, and Chrome Browser. Both are built off the same framework.

• Are you seeing this problem in the latest beta?

An issue very similar to what you describe was reported and fixed on r289.

• Sorry about that. I just re-read through the new Beta release notes and saw it listed under the fixes as. "Animations editor: image point and collision polygon changes not saved in certain conditions". Came here to update this thread, and you had beat me to it XD

I had let the latest version update, and download, but have not used it. Actually did so, right before making my thread here... My bad. After the Ludum Dare, I'm giving myself a break from doing much of anything today haha.

I'll definitely, be using Construct tomorrow though. And, will give the Animations editor a thorough test. If there is any issues, I will update this thread.

Thanks DiegoM

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's cool, it was a rather old and subtle issue. I guess that people encountering it either could never reproduce it or just thought they were doing something wrong because it's hard to make it happen twice in a row if you don't know it is there.

• It's cool, it was a rather old and subtle issue. I guess that people encountering it either could never reproduce it or just thought they were doing something wrong because it's hard to make it happen twice in a row if you don't know it is there.

Yeah, it was super annoying for me XD. Happened with almost every animation.

While making my game for the Ludum Dare, the main player had about a dozen animations, some with 20-30 frames. Setting up the animations took the most amount of time, because it happened over and over.

What I ended up doing for the player object, was pin it to a player base, and disable collisions on the animated player sprite. The player base just being an invisible square sprite object, as I normally do. But, for some reason was trying to get around that. Then I just setup all the animations, and their frames. Then for bounding box, just set to auto to full bounding box, and applied to all animations. The image points... however were another story all together. I had to place them manually for the animations, and spawning of attack hit boxes to work properly.

If that one thing is fixed, it's going to make my life with Construct 3 soooo much easier :D. I'm really excited to try it out tomorrow. It's been happening to me since I started using Construct again towards the end of last summer. I'd be following along with an online tutorial video. Test play, and it would be all bugged out. Then upon double checking, would realize the image points, and bounding boxes were doing really strange things.

It seemed to be following what I mentioned earlier. Or just jumping from frame to frame. I was using the shortcuts that were added a while back CTRL + Left/Right arrow to move frames on this last project for the jam. Seemed like if I made a change, then swapped to another frame quickly, or just cycled through frames quickly in general the boxes/points would go haywire lol.

I'm so happy that it's fixed. I'll give it a good run through tomorrow, and leave a comment on the post with the updated features. To thank the team for resolving it. If it's still an issue, I will update here, and submit a bug report.

Thanks again for your responses DiegoM. I'll be sure to run it through it's paces tomorrow haha

• I just spent some time trying to break the Animations Editor DiegoM. Seems much more solid in the latest version r289!

The only things I noticed is that if I change the bounding box points, then apply to entire animation(s). Then cycle through the animation frames quickly, either via clicking with mouse pointer, or CTRL + arrow keys. The bounding box/shape points will quickly flash to the previous locations, but then jump back to where I've set them. As long as they keep going back to where I've set them last, it doesn't matter. Just a slight visual bug. But goes away if I close the Animations Editor and re-open it, and go back to that particular Animation.

One other thing. If I set the image point for the animation. If I am cycling through the Animation frames quickly using CTRL + Arrow keys. If I'm going to quickly, it will start to move the image point on the first/last frame, if I am holding down CTRL + an Arrow key, or just pressing the arrow key too quickly and reach the first or last frame. It's an easy fix, just by setting that image point for that frame again. But, it might be nice to have it so if on first or final frame, and CTRL is held plus the left or right arrow key, it will not start moving the image point in pixels.

I just noticed it will start moving it if using CTRL + Arrow Up or Down to cycle through the various Animations on an Object as well. Which I figured would be the case. If reaching the final animation in the list, it starts moving the image point down. And, reaching the first animation at the top of the list, it starts moving the image point upwards, if the key is still held/being pressed.

Not sure if I should submit a bug report for that. Do you think it's a resolvable thing? Or do users just need to be careful with using the CTRL + Arrow keys to cycle frames/animations, and make sure to stop when on either the first or final frame/animation?

• It's always better to report any issues in the tracker. That way even if I forget about it because I am busy with something else, I will pick it up later when I get the chance.

I think someone mentioned the problem about reaching the last frame/animation using the arrow keys when the shortcut was first implemented... I have clearly forgotten about it until now.

• Sounds good. I'll go ahead and submit a bug report, when I have a moment :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)