Request: Platformer Object: TRIGGER JUMP

3 favourites
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.

EDIT: No, the existing feature:"simulate input : jump" is not what I'm asking for and does not do what I'm requesting. That only simulates the jump BUTTON being pressed.

Hi Scirra,

I'd love the action to actually trigger a real jump whenever I want instead of "set vector Y" (to a negative number). or doing kinda hacky things with the double-jump feature which could easily cause bugs or 'code confusion', especially if the person making the game already is using or plans to use the built in double jump feature for its intended purpose.

So why not Platform Object "Trigger Jump" and it would trigger a jump no matter what, with the actual jump sustain and jump height functionality all intact and functional and obeyed as they should be?

Tagged:

So you mean simulate control : jump ?

So you mean simulate control : jump ?

No, when you choose that it simply simulates the jump button being pressed, which does not trigger a jump if the player is in the air (unless double-jump is turned on).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

How would altering the behavior be less hacky than doing it in events?

The physics are well defined. A jump starts from a platform.

A double jump is triggered differently. As in not on the ground.

As in already jumping, or falling.

So basically what you are asking for is simulate double jump.

No that's not hacky at all. /s

you can reset and enable/disable double jump dynamically, this is how I solve coyote time with the default jump sustain and simulate control action.

How would altering the behavior be less hacky than doing it in events?

How is it ever a 'hack' to use an official event or feature? That's the opposite of hacky.

The physics are well defined. A jump starts from a platform.

A double jump is triggered differently. As in not on the ground.

As in already jumping, or falling.

A double jump is also a very well defined platformer game feature, and the feature was made for that specific purpose, this would be using it for a different purpose/feature, namely coyote time.

So basically what you are asking for is simulate double jump.

Wrong, What I'm asking for, is what I said, trigger a jump.. NOT a double jump... if it's your first jump, and it's in coyote time, how is that a "double" jump at all?

No that's not hacky at all. /s

Using a feature for not only multiple purposes simultaneously, but also for what it was not intended is nearly the very definition of hacky.

you can reset and enable/disable double jump dynamically, this is how I solve coyote time with the default jump sustain and simulate control action.

I know, but this is the very hackyness I'm hoping I and all future Construct 3 users will be able to avoid.

I'm working on a complex platformer engine and if I want to use the double-jump feature for an actual double jump feature, then I'm now forced to use it for both double jump under all real circumstances it should be possible, AND to compensate for this simple lacking feature to be able to trigger a legit jump whenever I want to in many events. This causes a lot of potential for confusion and bugs.

This is the very reason I'm requesting a simple action, to trigger a jump when I want to in an event, and have it not ignore or break things like the pre-set jump sustain or jump strength, and most importantly, not require hacky double-use of the double-jump feature and settings.

The whole reason there are 'Set vector X/Y' actions is advanced customisation like this. Why not use that?

an interesting feature imo would be to add coyote time to the platform behavior directly, with a toggle to enable/disable and coyote time length value.

edit: just a coyote time length (similar to jump sustain) no enable/disable needed as 0 would be off.

The whole reason there are 'Set vector X/Y' actions is advanced customisation like this. Why not use that?

Because when you use set vector Y to simulate a jump, then Jump Sustain is completely non-existent/ignored for the full (and short) duration of this fake jump.

That's why I want a real "trigger jump" which I can simply trigger whenever I want.

Thanks for your time Ashley, and for the ever more awesome Construct!

Why not add Sonic physics while we're at it?

bc it is not a feature for a specific type of platformer controller, but instead a feature that every responsive platformer controller should have imho (including a bit of a jump buffer).

edit: sorry for the derail

Custom behaviors should have custom plugs.

Hopefully I'm totally misunderstanding your post, but it seems like you're pretending I'm asking for a "make my game for me button" simply for wanting a extremely simple and sensible single feature be added to an existing behavior, which ton's of people think/assume already exists:

See above in the thread how people asked; "You mean like the simulate input/jump action?"

Right now Ashley already added the great jump sustain feature, and gave us "set vector Y" top allow us to trigger jumps whenever we want, BUT one breaks the other. I'm requesting and suggesting an incredibly simple, straight forward, and logical solution as far as I can tell.

> Why not add Sonic physics while we're at it?

Hopefully I'm totally misunderstanding your post, but it seems like you're pretending I'm asking for a "make my game for me button" simply for wanting a extremely simple and sensible single feature be added to an existing behavior, which ton's of people think/assume already exists:

See above in the thread how people asked; "You mean like the simulate input/jump action?"

Right now Ashley already added the great jump sustain feature, and gave us "set vector Y" top allow us to trigger jumps whenever we want, BUT one breaks the other. I'm requesting and suggesting an incredibly simple, straight forward, and logical solution as far as I can tell.

As you stated already you want the official behavior altered because you consider doing it in events hacky.

It can be done in events.

Do you need help figuring out your complex platformer engine?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)