RAM usage - mobile games

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Easily generate many levels from a set of pre-built scenes (Construct 3 template)
  • Hello there,

I made the APK, installed the game, and everything works as expected.

So, I have tried to check how much memory (RAM) my game consumes on my android phone while I play. The memory usage avarage is 330mb (Does not matter the size of the layout, the memory goes between these 2 315mb/350mb).

Then, I tried to do the same experiment in the remote view (from the google chrome browser) excepting that would take more memory... but I was wrong! On google chrome, the game consumes only 150mb vs the 330mb in the APK.

So, I knew that the game should run smoother when it's installed, but I guess I was wrong? Why there is this gap between apk and remote view? PS: I tried the game in the same layout/full screen...

Also, what would be a nice limit for memory usage? I'm still making the game, and I'm worried that I would encountered some limits.

Just to conclude, the game run smooth 60fps. So, I want to keep this standard.

Thank you

Tagged:

• 330MB is not too bad. You can try different values for "Max Spritesheet size" in project properties, it can significantly reduce the memory usage.

• 330MB is not too bad. You can try different values for "Max Spritesheet size" in project properties, it can significantly reduce the memory usage.

Thank you for the reply. I'm trying to figure out a possible limit for the memory usage, so that I can limit what I can implement in the game.

Do you think that staying below 500mb is good?

Thanks

• There is no definite answer to this. For modern phones 300-500Mb shouldn't be a problem, but on older phones with 1-2GB RAM the game may not work.

The less memory you use, the better.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • There is no definite answer to this. For modern phones 300-500Mb shouldn't be a problem, but on older phones with 1-2GB RAM the game may not work.

The less memory you use, the better.

Yes, I totally agree.

That's why I was impressed about the memory usage using the remote preview from google chrome compared to the pka. Did anyone encountered a similar problem?

Thanks

• In theory the APK and browser run the same game with the same browser engine (Chromium), so there shouldn't be any meaningful difference between them.

OS-level memory measurements are surprisingly complicated and nuanced, so it may be that you're looking at misleading measurements and the memory usage is actually the same. Chrome is a multi-process browser, so it may be that you're looking at the memory usage for a single tab, excluding the rest of the browser. Or maybe the browser is already loaded at the system level and opening a new tab only uses a bit more memory, but opening the APK uses an entirely new instance of the browser engine, increasing the memory usage more even though they both use the same overall amount of memory. So you should probably force-quit Chrome before making any comparisons, and be clear about how exactly you're making these memory measurements.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)