a question about licences?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
  • Hi guys, help me to understand please?

if i bought a "music pack" on the store, and its says permits royalty free usage for one single commercial project...And.. i did a free game for devices using just 1 of 5 soundtracks of the pack.

1.-Can i use the rest on different projects?

2.-A free game with ads it's a commercial project?

3.-What if i use the music on youtube videos?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Im gonna say:

No

No

No

Im not sure why anyone wouldn't get this concept, but if you make money, it counts as a commercial project.

• Hi guys, help me to understand please?

if i bought a "music pack" on the store, and its says permits royalty free usage for one single commercial project...And.. i did a free game for devices using just 1 of 5 soundtracks of the pack.

1.-Can i use the rest on different projects?

2.-A free game with ads it's a commercial project?

3.-What if i use the music on youtube videos?

those licenses mean the content u bought can be used 1 time per project, if u want to use the same content from the same bundle u bought u have to buy it again usually.

however that doesn't apply to all songs if they are split apart. for example

you making 2 different projects. u have 3 songs... u use 1 of them in 1 project and 1 in another. in order for the license to kick its re-buy status u have to put all 3 songs in one project. as long u don't reuse the same songs in other projects ur good to go with the main license.

that would be the main logic of things, but the developer/publisher of the files that sold it to u might have a different idea on how stuff should work and how much money he wants to make so you are ought to contact him and ask him what is permitted or not.

so basically short quick answer...

1 yes legally speaking you can use the rest of the songs in any different projects as long u not reusing the same song that was already used in a prior project. / no, morally speaking talk with the seller if his ok with it and what he considers consumed license. if he says u have to buy it again just buy it, even if he sues and will lose the case cause not how things work, u will have ur time wasted in court, lawyer fees etc. not worth it.

2 yes basically what commercial means is that every software that has the ability to gain money is commercial. No matter if you have advertisement plugins, in-app-payment systems or if it's a paid software in the first place.

3 the license is per use on commercial project, doesn't matter if its a youtube video where u run ads a game or a movie that makes u 10 mil dollars on box office.

Edited: on the chance u might be sued lets say... and the bundle is just 5$ or 20$ or whatever the price... id just re-buy it if the seller considers one time project use 1 song out of the N songs the bundle contains already used. is not even worth the pain and hustle. id just buy it one more time.

• and its says permits royalty free usage for one single commercial project

Isn't this contradict? According to Wikipedia royalty free means:Royalty-free, or RF, refers to the right to use copyright material or intellectual property without the need to pay royalties or license fees for each use, per each copy or volume sold or some time period of use or sales.

'For only one project' would mean the opposite. I would ask the seller.

• Asmodean, no what that means is that per project... the files u are using if u paid 5$ per the files u using, and u make 100k or 1 mil... u don't pay no extra royalties to the guy who sold u the song or the character spritesheet. etc... so if u make 1 mil $ and is cause of his song... the license he sold it to u... stops him for suing u for a % cut.

Edited:

however if u are using the same license on a different project... license which legally was consumed, then he can claim whatever % cut he wants.... cause of 5$ bundle stuff u avoided... which is kinda like it sounds....

now that 1 time use... per commercial project... it depends on what he considers one time use.... is that license applying in his mind "the seller" as for each individual file inside the bundle... or he means "analogy jar with coolair.... u opened it u used it... but u only use just 10% of the coolair he considers 100% usage cause u opened it."

so like we both said ... he needs contact seller and ask him that...

• Thanks for the explanation. That make sense. I always thought that it means I pay once and can do what I want with it.

• Thanks for the explanation. That make sense. I always thought that it means I pay once and can do what I want with it.

don't worry that's what most people think that means, unless ur being sarcastic.... if ur not... read bellow ...

well u kinda do what u want .... with it... but ur a limited to : not being able to resell it as per being your's

• thanks... Now i understand.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)