Positional sound behaviour

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Best soundtracks for any game. High quality and engaging assets.
  • I'm not sure I really get how positional sound works.

I made some tests using this project.

I defined a listener object, then I create an emitting object defining inner and outer angles (90° and 180°) in order to create the sound fading zones.

Both listener (the purple square) and the emitter (the green ball) can be dragged with the mouse.

The green line shows the direction of the emitter

The Blue lines show the inner angle

The Red lines show the outer angle.

Using Z and X keys you can rotate the emitter.

My doubts are related to:

- When I move the emitter close to the listener the audio fades out

- When I move the emitter far from the listener the audio fades in

I would expect the opposite behavior.

What is wrong?

• Seems like a negative outer gain inverts the distance fall-off. Sounds like a bug to me.

• Let's see what Scirra says.

I've opened a ticket.

And by the way, to anyone is interested to have the sound crackling bug resolved, please take a look at this Chrome bug page and please click the starring button.

This bug affects also android mobile apps.

• Ashley says it is not a bug. The behavior is caused by the listener which has the default Z set to 600 in the Audio object to better respect a 3d environment.

Please check the closed ticket for more details.

So, as fedca also ask in the ticket, is actually the positional cone a 3D cone?

I hope Ashley will confirm this even if actually looks like a 3D cone.

In order to have the right behavior in a 2D environment you have to set the Audio listener Z to 0 (I have updated the file)

Actually, I didn't find a document explaining that the default value is set to 600. Does anybody see where it is declared?

Is there a way to check the listener Z value?

Moreover, the "audio positioning" example it has been probably developed when 3D environment did not exist yet. Even in this case, it is necessary to set the listener Z to 0 to have the right output.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • you can see and set the audio listener height when selecting the audio object

• Thanks fedca, I didn't realize the Audio object had positioned audio properties in it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)