Could we have an option to hide these?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
  • Functions seem to have these extra labels on the sides now. I'm sure some users will appreciate them, but others (myself) find them unnecessary visual clutter.

(They're also designed poorly IMO... one is in parentheses, the other isn't; one uses a symbol instead of the word 'return', the other uses words; one is in sentence-case, the other is lower-case.)

In my case, I use comments and naming systems to organize functions. And the fewer words in event sheets the better. I realize this is a style thing, but it feels similar to the "Take a break every two hours" warning, which was also a style thing, so I thought I'd ask if it can be an option.

(And apologies if this should go on the suggestion platform, it didn't seem a big enough request, but let me know if I should move it!)

• As long as it is an option, can we make it so the word "function" can be set so just f or fct if we so desire. Its like begin and end in pascal, the c {} are so much better once you get used to it. I don't want to distract from the op, so just my 2 cents.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's a good point, and how much customization to add will always be a question for something with such a wide skill level of users.

Chances are this won't go anywhere, but at the very least I hope a bit of visual consistency would give it some polish. For example, switching "(copy picked)" to "+ Picked" would match the formatting of "-> Number".

• One of Construct's aims is to help teach programming concepts, and reduce the gap to jumping to a real programming language. The right arrow → Number style is designed to be reminiscent of programming language syntax which in some languages uses a trailing -> type for the return type, e.g. fn is_divisible_by(lhs: u32, rhs: u32) -> bool in Rust. So the aim is to make this concept more familiar to people working in event sheets. The whole concept of functions is already modeled on the programming language concept, as are many other things about event sheets.

I wasn't sure how best to convey "copy picked", especially as it is a concept unique to event sheets and therefore not something you can find examples of in other programming languages. I thought it would be better to show it than to not show it, as hidden properties that change how things work are often a source of frustration and confusion. Plain text seemed the least ambiguous thing to do. Maybe it could be different though? I'm not sure what would be best.

• I love the reasoning behind it, especially regarding all the educational benefits you've built into C3. If the option to hide them is a bridge too far, I'd vote for visual consistency to keep event sheets tidy. After reading your reply, the "→ Number" style is a great structure, so I'd try to keep them all like that. Using "+ Picked" is one way at it; it follows the syntax and the "plus" suggests it adds the objects to the functions.

Thanks for the discussion on this!

• I'm down with + picked but it's not that I personally dislike Copy picked.

One of Construct's aims is to help teach programming concepts, and reduce the gap to jumping to a real programming language.

This worked like a charm for me :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)