OpenSource ?

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
  • Hey Ashley Tom

I think I am not the first one to talk about the new forum which is a very very Import Section for any C2-C3 user, because the other time I saw someone saying

it's not gonna kill you if there is bad colors or text is big and other stuff

which is not correct at all, I speak for my self, it's really annoying to see those colors, big texts, no Post Preview, No PM, broken links, etc.... .

So I wanted to ask you why didn't you just keep the C2 forum until the C3 forum is ready, or you could use an already made up forum system because I think OpenSource exists for this type of problem, you are a small team, You can't handle everything, You can't maintain everything over the time.

I think (which is not 100% correct) you are working and improving simultaneously those projects

• C3 the Editor
    • C3 Runtime
    • C2 Runtime
    • Official Addons
    • The Forum
    • The website
    • Tutorials

And even more stuff we may not know.

That's a lot of work for 4 developers

I am talking as a fan , as an experienced developer and as a Co-Founder/CTO of 2 successful startups, Doing everything by your self is a REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD method now days.

Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Netflix and others even Apple (which is the most self Closed company in my point of view), they went opensource on many parts of their code

• It costs less for the company
    • x4-x5 much more code is written
    • more bugs are discovered and fixed
    • more changes and upgrades in each of C3 Release
    • and even more with an Opensource community

Look at godot Engine for example, they have a crazy number of Contributors , Commits and Pull Requests almost every 5 - 6 hours.

Unity went OpenSource too, UnrealEngine and many others are going OpenSource, because it will only benefice the product and help on it's development, stability and maintenance over the time

I am not saying you need to change all of your code or the full of C3 to OpenSource. but parts of it that we C2-C3 fans can help and contribute on.

Going Opensource will certainly Improve C3.

I hope you take seriously this suggestion.

• Construct Classic is open source. I still hope to see newer, unofficial versions of it in the future.

• So you're saying you don't like the forum theme so we should open source C3...?

• Unfortunately and as Expected you did not take this suggestion seriously at all and you missed the whole point of the post, as if you did just read the title and the first few lines, or you are just making fun of me with that question.

What I meant by this post is, if the forum which is one of the most important and one of the easiest part of the product, is badly made, so what about the rest ?

I really expected another type of answer :'( :'( :'(

• if the forum which is one of the most important and one of the easiest part of the product

Heh, have you ever tried to write a forum? They're big, complicated and difficult software projects. If you think it looks easy then that is a testament to the great job Tom has done working on something so ambitious!

• Hey Ashley Tom

I think I am not the first one to talk about the new forum which is a very very Import Section for any C2-C3 user, because the other time I saw someone saying

> it's not gonna kill you if there is bad colors or text is big and other stuff

which is not correct at all, I speak for my self, it's really annoying to see those colors, big texts, no Post Preview, No PM, broken links, etc.... .

So I wanted to ask you why didn't you just keep the C2 forum until the C3 forum is ready, or you could use an already made up forum system because I think OpenSource exists for this type of problem, you are a small team, You can't handle everything, You can't maintain everything over the time.

I think (which is not 100% correct) you are working and improving simultaneously those projects

• C3 the Editor
    • C3 Runtime
    • C2 Runtime
    • Official Addons
    • The Forum
    • The website
    • Tutorials

And even more stuff we may not know.

That's a lot of work for 4 developers

I am talking as a fan , as an experienced developer and as a Co-Founder/CTO of 2 successful startups, Doing everything by your self is a REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD method now days.

Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Netflix and others even Apple (which is the most self Closed company in my point of view), they went opensource on many parts of their code

• It costs less for the company
    • x4-x5 much more code is written
    • more bugs are discovered and fixed
    • more changes and upgrades in each of C3 Release
    • and even more with an Opensource community

Look at godot Engine for example, they have a crazy number of Contributors , Commits and Pull Requests almost every 5 - 6 hours.

Unity went OpenSource too, UnrealEngine and many others are going OpenSource, because it will only benefice the product and help on it's development, stability and maintenance over the time

I am not saying you need to change all of your code or the full of C3 to OpenSource. but parts of it that we C2-C3 fans can help and contribute on.

Going Opensource will certainly Improve C3.

I hope you take seriously this suggestion.

Unreal engine is already opensourced,Unity isnt opensourced but they did release the code to the ide and game engine so developers can get a better understanding of the innerworkings so they can make more optimized games but yea you are def right that every big companys moving towards opensource

• By

the easiest part

Compared to the full of the product, it's one of the easiest thing to code, and yea I have tried to write down a basic forum few years ago for a university project(HTML,NodeJS,MongoDB) and it's not that big deal.

Forums exists since 1970 and it's 99% the same design, User/Permissions/Posts/Categories management system,PM, Notification and if you want to add other stuff like post preview, real-time chat etc... you can.

nows days anyone can create a fully functional Forum in less than 15 minutes.

And if we follow what you said

They're big, complicated and difficult software projects

Then why did you start working on something complicated and difficult, while there are tons and tons of already made up forum system which are 100% customizable and opensource. which is the whole point of this Post I made

• There is a huge gulf between a quick project you hack together as a personal project, and a commercial-grade finished product that thousands of paying customers use. Don't assume anything is easy when you bring it to that scale. It's like playing around with your own boot loader and toy OS using some low-level assembly and C, and then claiming anyone could create Windows in a couple of hours.

The same goes for the open source suggestion. Go open source, ????? magic ?????, success! It doesn't always work like that.

• You are still focusing on 2 lines of what I wrote, you don't want to see the point of this post, and you are getting really offensive toward me. forget my suggestion and sorry for bothering you.

have a nice day

• I did not mean to come across as offensive. I apologise if I gave that impression at all. I am merely trying to explain commercial reality to you. For example it really is absurd to claim anyone can create a production-ready forum system in 15 minutes. To highlight that I was comparing it to equally absurd examples.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • No problem :)

Thanks for clarifying

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)