Oops...something went wrong (out of memory)

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Be quick and choose whether the shown equation is right or wrong.
  • I randomly get an "oops...something went wrong (you've ran out of memory)" when testing my game. It doesn't happen terribly often, but often enough to be annoying. It seems to only have started when I switched to the c3 runtime. I believe the game is somehow crashing out of memory, but it's causing the editor to crash, as well.

Has anyone else been experiencing this?

PS. I have 64 GB of ram, so I know it's not that...and the game is an incredibly small pixel scale so I ALSO know it's not that...

• it's not about the ram issue, is more of image memory cache issue of the browser... i get that alot also and i also got plenty of resources however that only happens when the browser is consuming to much cpu or gpu ... usually when webgl is working very intensively. make sure u got the latest update on the browser also u might want to disable experimental browser webgl settings on chrome and mozzila other browsers i have no clue if they even have this feature.

edited: u can also look in how u can increase the space allocated to browser caching... that might help.

• - does that mean something is wrong with my game? Will this happen when I export to NWJS?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • - does that mean something is wrong with my game? Will this happen when I export to NWJS?

yes and no, yes it's possible that somewhere in your game there is to much image caching / reusing.. probably consuming to much resources on browser.

if it happens on the browser it will happen on nwjs also, as that game is just a html5 browser based game runned through a interpreter wrapped in a executable, of sorts.

however on nwjs might not happen that much, as it will probably use the system cache memory which u probably have enough of, but might be a problem for low end devices.

id consider looking at optimization options for your game and eliminate overdone effects/graphics/audio/code loops/ data fetching etc

it also means your browser runs out of memory a lot, u using 100 tabs + previews? or working on one at a time?

edited: you might want to hard refresh (ctrl+f5 or shift+f5) the cache on your browser i edited a couple of times the posts i did.

i mainly get this from webgl and youtube running to long in another tab filling memory in while songs?videos run forever.

• - hmm, that's really strange. When the vram is high, it's about 60-70 mbs (I have games on steam that is WELL over that). There's a decent bit going on, but I can't imagine it's anything out of the ordinary. I usually have a few tabs open on chrome, but nothing too much. The preview is generally always open as I work on it and then f4 to test new changes.

Is the cache only from my CURRENT session? Or is it a cumulative of everything I've been doing over the past however long it's been? Like I said, I NEVER had this problem with the C2 runtime. It could, of course, be coincidence, but I kind of doubt it.

• - hmm, that's really strange. When the vram is high, it's about 60-70 mbs (I have games on steam that is WELL over that). There's a decent bit going on, but I can't imagine it's anything out of the ordinary. I usually have a few tabs open on chrome, but nothing too much. The preview is generally always open as I work on it and then f4 to test new changes.

Is the cache only from my CURRENT session? Or is it a cumulative of everything I've been doing over the past however long it's been? Like I said, I NEVER had this problem with the C2 runtime. It could, of course, be coincidence, but I kind of doubt it.

yea that narrows it down, then is just your browser cache being filled. chrome has that issue a lot, mozzila not that often, but then again mozzila has other problems.

again vram and ram is not the issue here, is your caching ... meaning everytime you play something there is a space amount of data allocated to that app/execution being it copying files from one folder to another or watching a youtube clip and when u get the error"oops...snap.. you ran out of memory" the cache space allocated to what you are doing it's filled not having enough space to write and rewrite the things it needs.

the vram helps rendering images faster and showing you stuff, the ram helps processing information, caching is the space you use to download files so the ram and vram can interpret them and show it to you and that's what runs out. not the vram or ram or cpu.

to fix this you need to clear the cache on your browser, not the passwords and stuff but image cache on chrome that is history/ clear browsing data/cached images and files,[ hosted data <- here you might lose saved progress on some games or netflix accounts etc)] the last one isn't that important, but "cached images and files" is what will occupy most of the memory when u run out of it u get the error.

also, if that doesn't fixes it it might be the browser caching profile got corrupted somehow then u need to rename it but u will lose all the data u had amassed so far as it will consider ur browser newly installed on the machine.

here is a tutorial on how to fix this, sorry for the weird suspicious site is the fastest thing i could find in 1 minute of google search.

chrome memory issue tutorial fix

i don't recommend the last one unless you know what you are doing.

i periodically erase my caching image memory thing everytime it hits around 2.0gb around then i get the error, atm im at 650mb or so... not using the browser so often (i laid off the kinki stuff if you know what i mean xD ) as i used to.

• ome6a1717 if you use Chrome, you could try to delete the cache storage in the application cache.

Press F12 then click on the tab Application. On the left of the debug-window should be 'Cache Storage' and it should have a little arrow. Click on the arrow and you should see all Construct3 version that are cached ,with right click you can delete the older one, but be careful and if you are in doubt, don't delete anything.

No clue if that is really your problem, but maybe it will help.

• Asmodean & - thank you both!! I will give this a shot, then.

• Asmodean & - okay bad news...clearing the cache (ALL of it, too) did literally nothing. It still crashes out of memory...and my cache was only around 500 some mbs.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)