Any news in this questions about C3?

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Jump on the mole rats and see how far you can go!
  • Hello, I've been disconnected from news about C3 for a while, I'd like to ask.

My main concern for not subscribing to C3 is the fear of losing access to editing and exporting my games.

This can happen in the following cases.

• Do not pay the fee.
    • Scirra bankruptcy and does not release C3 for X reasons.
    • C3 goes to C4. Scirra does not provide C3 independently and to continue editing your games you must subscribe to C4, Scirra grabbed you by the eggs.

Is there any news regarding these cases?

Can Scirra tell me "you can edit and export your games without subscription when ..."?

• [quote:1x9tswua]Do not pay the fee.

If you do not pay the fee, you do not have access to edit your games. You will have access to open and view them though (it will just warn you that the project exceeds the free edition limits). That's the limitation of the model we've gone for.

[quote:1x9tswua]Scirra bankruptcy and does not release C3 for X reasons.

We're in a really good place financially, we're not at all concerned. We have years of runaway without needing to raise funds. We have no debt and sales of Construct 3 are going great. Secondly, if it does ever happen we'd do everything we can to ensure our customers were not left in the dust (eg, another company would buy us or we open source the engine).

[quote:1x9tswua]C3 goes to C4. Scirra does not provide C3 independently and to continue editing your games you must subscribe to C4, Scirra grabbed you by the eggs.

Absolutely zero plans for Construct 4. Our plan is to continually and iteratively improve it.

I'm not sure what else I can say, is there any answer you're hoping we give you that would satisfy you?

• [quote:2bff422r]Do not pay the fee.

If you do not pay the fee, you do not have access to edit your games. You will have access to open and view them though (it will just warn you that the project exceeds the free edition limits). That's the limitation of the model we've gone for.

[quote:2bff422r]Scirra bankruptcy and does not release C3 for X reasons.

We're in a really good place financially, we're not at all concerned. We have years of runaway without needing to raise funds. We have no debt and sales of Construct 3 are going great. Secondly, if it does ever happen we'd do everything we can to ensure our customers were not left in the dust (eg, another company would buy us or we open source the engine).

[quote:2bff422r]C3 goes to C4. Scirra does not provide C3 independently and to continue editing your games you must subscribe to C4, Scirra grabbed you by the eggs.

Absolutely zero plans for Construct 4. Our plan is to continually and iteratively improve it.

I'm not sure what else I can say, is there any answer you're hoping we give you that would satisfy you?

Thank you for all the info.

What you say seems promising for the future of C3 but the model:

Possibility of editing and export -> mandatory subscription

It's what keeps me away.

One answer that I would have liked (I think that has already been commented before) is that Scirra was evaluating the option to buy C3 in standalone mode (with permission to edit and export) and pay again for new updates when the user wants.

I do not know why they do not offer this option, I guess Scirra has his reasons.

Maybe in the future something happens that makes Scirra evaluate this option, meanwhile until today I'm not comfortable with the subscription as the only option for editing and exporting, so I'll be keeping an eye occasionally to see if there are changes in this aspect.

• I don't think it's feasible to either support hundreds of different versions of C3 (depending on when various people's updates have expired) with essential fixes, nor to completely abandon users whose updates have expired (some things will simply have to be fixed, like when a new iOS update breaks something or other). There are other complications like the fact the free edition is kept up-to-date, so if you logged in to an account with expired updates, you'd have to somehow be downgraded to an older version, which is difficult, and breaks compatibility with any projects you were working on in the free edition.

Paying for a period of updates probably works if the software updates about once every six months. We, on the other hand, have done two updates this week already... and it's only Tuesday.

• Ashley & Tom : This is a little off-topic but i'm really glad that C3 is paying off for you, i'm presenting early stuff of my game in London at AdventureX (not officially though but i already got some interest by the press) so i'm really loving the software!

In your pursuit of world domination, are you planning on taking on even moaaaar developers?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks Joel! AdventureX looks interesting, would probably of popped down but too busy this weekend. Glad you're enjoying C3, we're all enjoying working on it at the moment now we've gotten over the stress of a new product launch.

We're currently trying to recruit another web developer to help with our website and services (our current bottleneck).

• Tom

Any plans to hire a dedicated plugin developer? It's good that you can find a lot of plugins and behaviours here on the forums, but wished there were more official versions. I don't always feel safe to rely on 3rd party plugins that sometimes lose support and interest from the developer, and even broken download links if you ever need to get hold of them again.

There's a lot of things that i wish had official versions.

Official Raycaster, Tween, more advanced particle plugins etc etc, are just some of the things on my wishlist.

Apart from the regular maintenance, bug fixing, and future new runtime. I think it's really important to extend the arsenal of tools available, and keep em coming, and updated. I think many people here would prefer using plugins and behaviours officially supported by scirra.

• No plans as of yet, but it's an area we could definitely improve in. Step 1 is to have a better central location for plugins (EG a plugin library part of the website)

• Iain's been working on official plugins, like new IAP and ad plugins.

We could make official versions of some third-party addons, but if the third-party addon is working OK, there's not really a great incentive to do that. For the most important ones though, we probably will at some point.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)