Do I need to worry about this?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • Hi. I've been thinking about this for a while but can't find and answer.

When I upload an APK using the runtime 3

5 out of 9 pre-launch reports look like this.

This error does not show on any pre-launch report

tests made on android 8 or newer.

Google pre-launch throws an accessibility warning about content labels:

Do we need to worry about this? Is it just google pre-launch report that uses some weird devices when testing and this wont be a problem for real users?

What kind of updates would be needed for the devices that can't open the app and is it something that users would get automatically without extra work?

So if the user updates chrome the app works?

I'm not an android user but I guess chrome and the OS should be updated automatically, and as a result this error would not be shown to real users?

• It assume it will only happen with Android 6 and below, Android 7 and above have system webview integrated.

• I see.

Too bad around 40% of android devices still run 6 and 5. :(

But its getting lower all the time so thats good!

Should we set minimum sdk version to 24 (android 7)?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think C3 needs to redo that "System update needed" page. 40% is to large, i bet some cheap no-name phones with android 5/6 are still being sold.

I checked my old android phone and SystemWebView is under optional updates - so major % users - i could bet almost all don't update it.

If you take it from app sell/adds perspective, some points:

* major clickers are kids. I bet alot of them use old parents phones(cheap ones), so 40% could easily grow 80%+. Some might update webview so you could subtract ~ few %.

* Alot of expensive ones(top end) are bought by people that most likely will not click/play games. Its overall % phones sold. That push unusables % even higher.

* Problems with Having Current error page: it is to confusing, + its in english, its to long and kids can't read it(in some counthries even older users can't read it). Good fix would be -> System update needed > Line 2 Update system webview and link to android app store. My cousin that's 8 year old, already knows what update means and if there is link, he most likely would click and do it, even if he can't read the rest.

*It takes few years! for % to go as low 20% what would be good enough. Or even longer, as it takes years before batteries die for phones from 2013-2016.

To OP, just use c2runtime for apps that are simple. If you already developing large game, then just set min android to 7.

You should also consider who you target with app and then choose runtime you need.

• I checked my old android phone and SystemWebView is under optional updates - so major % users - i could bet almost all don't update it.

Webview should be auto-updated:

developer.chrome.com/multidevice/webview/overview

• > I checked my old android phone and SystemWebView is under optional updates - so major % users - i could bet almost all don't update it.

Webview should be auto-updated:

https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/webview/overview#will_the_new_webview_auto-update_

That seems nice, phone i tried had older android, so it wasn't on auto update. I don't have android 5/6 phone to test, but i hope update does not need user interaction at some point - which could nullify the auto-update idea.

• On my Android 5.1 Tablet it works without any interaction. With Android 7+, Webview and Chrome are the same.

I would write in the description on google-play that if Android 5 to 6 is used and the game doesn't work to update webview manually.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)