Need a warning when deleting a Layer (suggestion)

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
  • construct3.ideas.aha.io/ideas/C3-I-543

if anyone fancies voting please visit the link

it is a bit of a knee jerk one from me but it will affect others in the future at some point.

I have been happily working on my project without realising a key layer has been missing for some time. It seems I have deleted it by accident at some point losing much work.

It is far too easy to accidentally delete a layer, if selected, just pressing delete or backspace will delete a layer without any warning whatsoever. Considering that you might be trying to delete something else and instead deleting layers by accident this really needs a warning notice. Cheers.

• I think this is suited more as a bug. This is kind of dangerous.

github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues

• In the past other users have asked us to remove such warnings because they're annoying, especially when there are no references to the thing being deleted in the project. Unfortunately due to the frequent use of layer name references by expressions, the editor usually can't determine for certain whether a layer has references or not, which makes it difficult to bypass a no-references warning. So I suspect we could not ever bypass the warning, and then the next suggestion would be to remove it...

• Yea it is kind of in that grey area of bug vs feature request.

Although playing devils advocate you might argue how far do we take warnings when deleting stuff?

It is also just as easy to accidentaly delete a whole event sheet without any warning

It is also just as easy to delete a whole folder full of sprites that are used in events and in layouts without any warning.

actually now Im thining about it these should definitly also have warnings!

but you could also just as easily delete a whole block of events and without any warning.

hmm. over to Ashley on this one

• In the past other users have asked us to remove such warnings because they're annoying, especially when there are no references to the thing being deleted in the project.

On Construct 2, it still has the warning.

He means, on Construct 3, even when there are instances, the layer still gets deleted.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > In the past other users have asked us to remove such warnings because they're annoying, especially when there are no references to the thing being deleted in the project.

On Construct 2, it still has the warning.

He means, on Construct 3, even when there are instances, the layer still gets deleted.

Ohh! cheers I was thinking C2 did that I just couldnt remember ...

then Ashley it can be rasied as a C2 compat bug then?

the more I thinkabout it I am just too clumsy to not have warnings when deleting potentially major things like layers and events sheets and folders full of stuff.

• Huh, I just realised it's kind of inconsistent - you will get a warning if you delete an individual object type, but not a folder of them. I guess we need to go through a few places and make this more consistent. Please go ahead and file a bug for that.

• NetOne It looks like you still haven't filed a bug report. Please report this, but if you can't, I'll report it for you. This needs to get fixed.

• NetOne It looks like you still haven't filed a bug report. Please report this, but if you can't, I'll report it for you. This needs to get fixed.

Weekend sir. Will do Weekend.

Week is spent dealing with idiots at work during the day and mammoth house DIY project in the evening.

Weekend is for coffee, contemplation, and submitting bug reports. With the remote possibility of some game development as well.

• OK, crudely raised

github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/1957

if I have missed anything or anyone feels strongly that deleting other items need warning then let me know maybe can update.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)