About Multiplayer!

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
The official Scirra Multiplayer Signalling Server for helping peers find and connect to each other
  • Ashley said in 2014, when introducing the new Multiplayer Objet;

-We have plans to add even more features, ranging from persistent logins with player data storage, to geolocation-based matchmaking to help improve the connection quality.

is it me or the persistent logins with data storage was never a thing?

imo it makes multi limited if we cannot store things for every player... like in a rpg for instance.

Thanks guys.

• Ashley said in 2014, when introducing the new Multiplayer Objet;

-We have plans to add even more features, ranging from persistent logins with player data storage, to geolocation-based matchmaking to help improve the connection quality.

is it me or the persistent logins with data storage was never a thing?

imo it makes multi limited if we cannot store things for every player... like in a rpg for instance.

Thanks guys.

Since not a lot were using it and demanding for it. It didn't get improved.

Then again, there was a time it was in demand and failed but it was Construct 2, it didn't have as good support unlike now with subscriptions. But now with Construct 3, people mostly gave up on the multiplayer plugin and went for the alternatives like customized plugin, customized back-end, WebSocket System or 3rd party plugins like Colyseus or Photon Cloud / Server.

To be honest though, if you plan to have Multiplayer for your games,

I suggest making your custom backend + client plugin for massive CCU per room games like IO games and use Photon for Battle Arena Games.

For online data storage, I don't think relying on the Construct Team or Scirra is recommended. I'd use Firebase for that or a Custom Server Database.

If you don't have any programming background:

For Realtime Multiplayer::

Battle Arena :: Photon

For IO Games::

I guess you can use the Socket.IO plugin, I think there are some free ones here. Or better yet, buy a utilization license or hire someone to make you one.

For Online Storage Database::

You can use the Firebase Plugin by Rexrainbow.

If you have some programming background:

You can make your customized backend + plugin client and mix in with other 3rd party plugins. It makes things easier in the long run and you have more control and flexibility for performance, storage, bandwidth etc...

• Your options are either Photon as stated (for real time) or a more complete (data-persistent) one, like Playtfab or Gamesparks. You can't go wrong with any of them.

You can of course set up your own websockets server and fully implement server side logic.

• A custom WebSocket implementation is the best route IMO, Both bandwidth(less data a game needs to be multiplayer means more support for users with slower internet) wise and cost wise(A nodejs server can hold 100-200 ccu for 0-5$)

Edit:I uploaded my implementation on the Construct community discord if anyone wants to mess around with it

• Thanks guys! I'll take a look!

• The problem with all of those third party solutions is that they don't allow you to write the server-side code with construct 3

Also most use websockets which is slower than the webRTC implementation construct 3 uses (construct 3 uses websockets to establish it's webRTC Connections but webRTC does all the work)

I find it baffling you people suggest worse 3rd party solutions over our wonderful built-in officially supported multiplayer, enlighten me on this if you may

But now with Construct 3, people mostly gave up on the multiplayer plugin and went for the alternatives like customized plugin, customized back-end, WebSocket System or 3rd party plugins like Colyseus or Photon Cloud / Server.

People didn't give up on anything, you just told people to give up on it and and the people trust you

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think the same as . The build-in multiplayer-plugin works great and fast. I hope for more features to the plugin. For me its a perfect multiplayer-solution!

• Picking something just cause it's easy doesn't mean the best, And based on your "Webrtc is fast so it's top-tier" you clearly lack any real knowledge about how effective WebSocket is for multiplayer games. And my custom WebSocket implementation does allow you to write multiplayer games using 99% events and 1% javascript for example, Here's how movement is implemented serverside

Event.on(packettype.Movement, function (data) {
     var result = packetbuild.encode(data)
     SendToAllIgnoreSender(result);
     })

then

i.imgur.com/djGBPQd.png

in construct 2

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)