Moving from C2 to C3; bunch of questions

0 favourites
  • 2 posts
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • Hello!

I'm becoming more eager to move from C2 to C3, as I had been playing with the free version and realised how the work flow might not be different at all if I moved right now to C3 (I was happy to discover: Keyboard shortcuts work as expected, CTRL+Mousewheel works without zooming in the actual "browser page", adding C3 as a shortcut and maximising gives me a normal full screen with start bar visible with no address bar or tabs, looks and feels great!)

Had a few questions:

1. Can "Remote Preview" be used on an offline LAN network?

I understand that preview-over-wifi from C2 is no longer a thing, but Remote Preview now exists but I am unable to test this in the free version.

I read that Remote Preview works over LAN, but does this also mean this feature works offline over LAN?

Currently I preview my game on my phone often on C2, as my phone and PC is connected to my router, but lets assume my internet was down, would I still be able to speedily preview on my phone like in C2?

2. How do I use the equivilent of "Fullscreen: Crop" in C3, as this option no longer exists in C3?

I use "Fullscreen: Crop" on my current C2 project to adapt my project to different phone sizes, I feel like I have a great deal of control using this and then manipulating sprites and objects using the viewport events (On C2, Fullscreen set to "Off" creates an unwanted border on my phone, even if I try to manipulate the canvas/browser size with events).

3. More mild trivial quesiton, but is there a plugin to get dates/times from the users device? It is the only third party plugin I'm using in my current project, thought I'd quickly ask!

4. Privacy. I had lightly asked about this in a blog post somewhat recently, and I have read the Privacy policy, but I was curious specifically what degree of information is tracked by Scirra?

Just to stress, I'm not asking about data that would help circumvent security or piracy.

To give some specific ideas on what I'm asking, data such as:

1. Things typed into C3 such as Text, event comments, project titles.

2. When using Remote Preview, how long do the builds stay on the Scirra servers?

I'm not inherently opposed to Scirra or companies tracking information, I like knowing I can help and be a statistic for things like "How often is the Multiplayer plugin added to projects" or "How many events used by C3 users" and such, but I would definitly want to opt out of data collection if it is identifiable.

The next questions are for someone I know who also uses C2 but isn't entirely convinced by C3, so I don't know the exact use cases he intends but I have a general idea and thought I'd ask for him:

A. Does the Multiplayer plugin work between C2 and C3? (Could a c2 build of a game communicate with a build in C3?).

B. Can you add multiple "Multiplayer" plugins in a project? Or, if not, can you connect to multiple servers on the one instance?

I understand that some games (MMO's) have multiple servers to handle different bits, such as a Login Server, World Server, Channel server. I think this is what he intends to use it for.

C. Can the official plugins be downloaded and modified?

I found a thread on the forum about this, I totally agree that it's probably better to request the feature change, and bare in mind this isn't a request I'm asking for so I'm not here to discuss "why not!" if we can't, but the baseline question; are we actually able to download the plugins and tinker with them if we for whatever reason wanted to?

I do know that, in C2, he modified the Multiplayer plugin to allow more instances to be added to aid in his project, which is why I asked question B as well.

Many thanks for any answers!

Edit: Formatting and spelling

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • 1. Can "Remote Preview" be used on an offline LAN network?

Much like the multiplayer feature, remote preview uses a signalling server to broker a direct peer-to-peer connection between the devices. This means you do have to be online for the devices to find each other, but then the data can be transferred over the LAN if the devices can reach each other that way. Related is:

2. When using Remote Preview, how long do the builds stay on the Scirra servers?

Your project is never sent to the signalling server.

When you use the mobile app build server, it does send your project to the server so it can build an app from it. Then it immediately deletes the project. It does not hold on to it long-term.

2. How do I use the equivilent of "Fullscreen: Crop" in C3, as this option no longer exists in C3?

It was removed because it was difficult to support, didn't seem to have much use, and the other fullscreen options all seem like much better options since they handle aspect ratio and scaling for you. You can probably do what you want with some combination of the other options.

3. More mild trivial quesiton, but is there a plugin to get dates/times from the users device?

There's not yet an official feature, but I believe there are third-party addons covering this.

4. Privacy. I had lightly asked about this in a blog post somewhat recently, and I have read the Privacy policy, but I was curious specifically what degree of information is tracked by Scirra?

Our privacy policy is our official statement on the matter, but the editor only collects anonymous information and we never share the information with anyone else. It exists solely for us to maintain the quality of the product, such as by observing crash reports and fixing problems that we can spot that way (such as in this case). We do not collect or track any of the content of your project, such as anything you type in to the editor, and we have no interest in doing so. Also if you use any tracking blocking features that block Google Analytics, you will be completely opted out of this.

A. Does the Multiplayer plugin work between C2 and C3? (Could a c2 build of a game communicate with a build in C3?).

Yes, it should do (I haven't specifically tested this but the code is compatible).

B. Can you add multiple "Multiplayer" plugins in a project? Or, if not, can you connect to multiple servers on the one instance?

C3's multiplayer plugin is basically the same as in C2, and that's not supported.

C. Can the official plugins be downloaded and modified?

No, this caused appalling compatibility nightmares, it was often unnecessary for the intended feature in the first place, and we ended up dealing with the support burden.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)