• 14 posts
From the Asset Store
3D Rendered, High Resolution elements to create an apocalytic scene or war zone
  • hi Ashley !

I made a mockup for scene graph

Scene graph in the Project Bar

in the "Project" bar there is new folder with name "Scene"

How will add new scene

when we right-click over "Scene" there will be option to "Add scene". On "Add scene" clicked a popup will appear similar to family popup (Image-4)

After selecting images and close popup. Our "Project" bar will look like Image-3 (left side) and all the images we added in character scene will look like a single image in layout (Image-5)

Assign Object as Child

On double click "Character" scene in the "Project" bar OR double click any image in the layout will open "Scene Editor" (Image-2) and then we can assign objects as a child or parent by dragging objects in the "Project" bar OR by dragging any image in the "Scene Editor". In the "Scene Editor" click any image and drag and then move it over the other image and drop there. it. will make dropped image as child object. After assign object a child "Project" bar will look like Image-3 (right side).

After assigning objects double click anywhere in the "Scene Editor" to exit "scene editor"

Tagged:

• Thanks for putting this together, it's useful for considering how the scene graph works.

I'm not sure what the difference between the "body" object and the "character" item in the project bar is though. It seems to be that they are the same thing. There isn't really a concept of the "character" being its own distinct thing - it just emerges from the fact everything is connected to "body". So it seems to be that the tree could just be shown under "body". Then that could just be shown under the existing object types folder, without needing a separate "scene" folder. That would simplify the feature quite a bit. What do you think about that?

Image 4 seems to recycle the family editor dialog for scene graph. I don't think that's appropriate, because a scene graph is a tree, but a family is just a simple collection of items. The way you showed it in the project bar is more appropriate.

• Character is scene name which is holding the whole tree.

body is Image (which is our chest) where our hands, legs and head is connected.

Instead of popup for adding items so there could be just drag objects from "object types" to scene directly .

• In your example, 'body' appears to actually be a Sprite object. So it's not just an image.

You still haven't said any actual differences between the 'body' sprite and the 'Character' scene. I assume this is identical to just treating 'body' as the root of the scene graph. If that's the case, then there's no point having a 'Character' item, because it doesn't represent anything meaningful. If that's not the case, then what is the actual difference? What does 'Character' do that 'body' does not on its own, as a Sprite object with a scene graph of other objects attached to it?

• Okay i got it what you asking.

I'm not sure if it is possible to make or not. But following thing make this different from body.

1. Update its icon to current view of the objects appearance in the "scene editor". If we change image positions in the scene editor then Character's icon will be update too. So we could know about what is behind this scene. See image below.
    2. This will be symbol of scene graph. like Family icon is symbol of family.

OR I'm no coder but i have strong feeling that updating icons is difficult task or not possible then just ignore the character and consider body as root of the tree.

• If it's purely cosmetic and only affects the icon, it doesn't seem worth taking up all the space in the Project Bar with a new section just to show some new icons. I think it would be better to keep the user interface concise and streamlined.

• instead of character one thing can be done here.

Update each parent's icon with its own scene preview.

• If it's purely cosmetic and only affects the icon, it doesn't seem worth taking up all the space in the Project Bar with a new section just to show some new icons. I think it would be better to keep the user interface concise and streamlined.

Ashley

This is not just cosmetics. How would this situation work out:

If I have a separate character "holder" (like in this ecample) then I can drag out the whole character fully assembled from the project bar right?

But this is not the case if I drag out just the "body" from the project panel. In this case only the "body" sprite would appear? Or would all the rest of the body parts appear as well?

• Also if all the other body parts just follow the "body" sprite does it means that we can't share this "body" sprite between two characters?

For example; if you have a character A,B,C,D,E,F with the same body sprite but different hand/leg sprites then you need to add multiple clones of "body sprites" in the project library for each character.

• If I have a separate character "holder" (like in this ecample) then I can drag out the whole character fully assembled from the project bar right?

That's a more meaningful difference, but we could still do that for object types in the Project Bar. I don't think this alone justifies adding a whole new section to the Project Bar.

We need specifics like this to be able to implement it - vague suggestions along the lines of "this would be a new thing", or just showing a screenshot of some UI, isn't actually useful when it comes to spending months implementing all the actual code for it. The key is: what does it do that's new, different, not covered by existing features, and not suitable for being covered with existing features?

• Why I don't have the Scene folder on my project tab ?

• Why I don't have the Scene folder on my project tab ?

This topic is about a mockup, a suggestion of interface.

This is NOT an actual representation of Construct in its current form.

• Ashley

I'd like to know what you think of the scene graph editor window. Is it possible?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Didn't I already respond to that earlier in the thread? It looks like you just reposted part of the first post, which I already responded to.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)