Are these keyboard shortcuts supposed to do something?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Total customisation of the input! You can combine inputs from all peripherals. Make your game accessible for everyone!
  • I was looking for a back/forward button similar to visual studio in the C3 Editor, and I came across these shortcuts in the Help section that seemed to to imply it did that.

But they don't seem to do anything

Am I mistaken on what it's functionality is? because if there is any, I can't find it anywhere in the editor.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The documentation is a bit cryptic for those two shortcuts.

Looking at the code it seems that they are only for the dialogs relating to setting actions, conditions and their parameters. With those you can move back and forth the different dialogs that are presented.

The back shortcut also works in the expressions dictionary.

An additional extra caveat which I just found out, which is not documented, is that the shortcuts do not work when an input element has focus, and in the case of most of those dialogs, the search input will automatically have focus, which means the shortcuts won't work!

For that there are variants, Alt + Shift + B and Alt + Shift + N, for back and next respectively, those will have the intended effect regardless of an input element having focus.

The first step would be to document those hidden shortcuts... but I am not really sure why they are needed in the first place.

• I used to use these alll the time in C2, when modifying a condition/action to another action.

It keeps my hand on the keyboard, which I use to search and choose conditions and actions from the dialogue, instead of switching back and forth from the mouse or hitting tab 5 times to get to the back button. Although usually Enter is used to go forwards...

In C3 I haven't used it as much due to the mentioned wonkiness when autofocusing text fields.

I find myself working with really fat expressions often, and I like that the contents of particular fields are sometimes preserved when changing conditions/actions. So instead of copying the expression I used in one event, creating a new one, and pasting, I'll copy and paste the entire condition/action, and then go in and change it to whatever new thing I wanted.

• The documentation is a bit cryptic for those two shortcuts.

Looking at the code it seems that they are only for the dialogs relating to setting actions, conditions and their parameters. With those you can move back and forth the different dialogs that are presented.

The back shortcut also works in the expressions dictionary.

An additional extra caveat which I just found out, which is not documented, is that the shortcuts do not work when an input element has focus, and in the case of most of those dialogs, the search input will automatically have focus, which means the shortcuts won't work!

For that there are variants, Alt + Shift + B and Alt + Shift + N, for back and next respectively, those will have the intended effect regardless of an input element having focus.

The first step would be to document those hidden shortcuts... but I am not really sure why they are needed in the first place.

Thank you Diego!

Darn, I was hoping it would be broken but actually what I described haha.

Any luck we could get a shortcut for Next/Forward functionality similar to Visual Studio?

• The shortcuts Ctrl + Shift + 🡐 and Ctrl + Shift + 🡒 can be used to navigate between the open tabs.

Is that what you mean? I am not super familiar with Visual Studio UI, I think the last version I used was Visual Studio 2004 :P

• The shortcuts Ctrl + Shift + 🡐 and Ctrl + Shift + 🡒 can be used to navigate between the open tabs.

Is that what you mean? I am not super familiar with Visual Studio UI, I think the last version I used was Visual Studio 2004 :P

Ahh haha! So it basically keeps track of the last few lines of code you visited and allows you to press a keyboard shortcut or press two buttons on the top left of the IDE to move between where you were and where you are at.

It's really useful for quickly moving between code without having to set bookmarks. A lot of times you move to a new tab and line of code not knowing you'll need to refer to something behind.

CTRL + "-" or CTRL + SHIFT + "-"

youtube.com/watch

It may not be a big issue for most, but once I reached like 10+ event sheets and thousands of events it's become a big headache, I've ended up using CTRL+F to search back and forth a lot more than I want to. I think a lot of people would find this a really useful addition to the work flow with or without buttons.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)