iOS - UIWebView depreciated

0 favourites
  • After uploading a new build last night, I received this email:

'Dear Developer,

We identified one or more issues with a recent delivery for your app, "Super Dungeon Delvers" 0.916 (0.916). Your delivery was successful, but you may wish to correct the following issues in your next delivery:

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - Apple will stop accepting submissions of apps that use UIWebView APIs . See developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview for more information.

After you’ve corrected the issues, you can use Xcode or Application Loader to upload a new binary to App Store Connect.

Best regards,

The App Store Team'

I can't see anything in the link that states when the submissions will be stopped, but I'm hoping this is not going to be an issue moving forward.

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cordova-iOS have UIWebview APIs references, just simply having it can trigger iOS' automated checks. I'd wait for Cordova iOS to resolve this.

Besides, there is no exact deadline, and by the time it depreciates UIWebview, Cordova-iOS would have already adapted.

• Construct has defaulted to using the newer WKWebView for a long time now (amonst other things, it's much faster). So if your app uses UIWebView, it must be because of other features.

According to this recent thread the InAppBrowser Cordova plugin appears to still use UIWebView, so maybe that's causing the problem. It can be configured to use WKWebView instead though.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Construct has defaulted to using the newer WKWebView for a long time now (amonst other things, it's much faster). So if your app uses UIWebView, it must be because of other features.

According to this recent thread the InAppBrowser Cordova plugin appears to still use UIWebView, so maybe that's causing the problem. It can be configured to use WKWebView instead though.

Sorry, do you mean the browser plugin (which comes with C3) or a non-installed plugin?

I'm getting this on a vanilla build.

• AFAIK there should be no dependency on UIWebView in a vanilla build. Nepeo - maybe you know more?

• Sounds like the hybrid web app community has kinda exploded over this, there's things popping up all over the place. There's unfortunately no official information from Apple over how they are flagging apps for this, or when it's going to become a real problem.

I believe this github.com/apache/cordova-ios/issues/661 is the main issue tracking this on Cordova.

The design intention of Cordova is that the actual webview engine component is supposed to be replaceable. On iOS the default is based on UIWebView, but pretty much everyone ( us included ) has replaced it with the official WKWebView based engine. The issue is probably that the code that references UIWebView still exists, even if it isn't being used. There was some people on the React native bug tracker saying that you could just delete the file referencing UIWebView and the warning goes away. I think cordova is likely to be a bit more tightly bundled than this though. I guess they will release a new version of cordova ios at some point that replaces the UIWebView version outright, but no idea what the time scale will be like here.

• Nepeo what about the issue resolve?

Construct3 IOS Export feauture still does not work..

• It's not broken. It's just a message that appears, and work is already actively being done to make the message go away.

• Ashley : thanks for info! Thanks for work!

• I think they finally put a date on it. I just submitted and app they put the date April 2020 this time.

“ Dear Developer,

We identified one or more issues with a recent delivery for your app, "Connect Hexas" 1.2 (1). Your delivery was successful, but you may wish to correct the following issues in your next delivery:

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - Apple will stop accepting submissions of new apps that use UIWebView APIs starting from April 2020. See developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview for more information.

After you’ve corrected the issues, you can upload a new binary to App Store Connect.

Best regards,

The App Store Team”

• I still got this warning today when uploading an ios build. Apple says the deadline to fix this is April 2020.

Apache has marked this bug as 'resolved', which means they are not longer working on it and condidered it as fixed.

They describe some parameters to set in the config.xml file, or if you still get it, it comes from your plugins.

So I believe this is for Scirra to look into. Nepeo

• Construct switched to WKWebView years ago. We already set Cordova builds to use WKWebView only as well, to make sure Cordova removes all references to UIWebView.

There may still be certain addons that reference UIWebView. (They don't even need to actually use it, the message appears to be shown for anything that merely contains references to UIWebView.) It's difficult to help further without knowing which addons these are though.

• Which plugins do you use ? Any none official ones?

• All this official ones

-touch

-Save_

-Mouse

-MobileAdvert

-LocalStorage

-levels

-Audio

-Array

-dictionary

-ArrayGreen

-Function

None of which actually have browser functionality. Maybe MobileAdvert.

• Ok, so then it is most def MobileAdvert.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)