DrawingCanvas was an awesome addition to C3, but there are too many limitations and things that can be improved. Here is the copy of this post on the feature suggestions website, please vote and comment if you agree:
Some of these ideas have already been suggested, but they received no status updates or replies from Scirra. So I decided to combine them all here in one post.
1. Allow rotation. Not being able to rotate DrawingCanvas significantly limits its usefulness.
Imagine you are making a top-down view game and want to leave scratches and splashes of paint on moving enemies. It's easy to do in C2 with Paster, not possible in C3 with DrawingCanvas.
Yes, you can save the canvas image and then load it into another sprite, both these actions are slow and can't be used on every tick. Also, with many enemies you will need many empty animation frames in the sprite, and a complex system to manage them.
2. Add arcs and Bezier curves.
3. Paste layer, Paste everything.
If you need to make a snapshot of a small area (for example when making a split-screen game), pasting individual objects onto the canvas may be a difficult and tedious task, especially when objects are overlapping each other, have different blend modes etc.
4. Allow resizing canvas with stretching the image, or add actions for resizing the image inside the canvas.
For example, Paster addon in C2 can be used to make deformation effects (like adding perspective) to images, this is not possible with DrawingCanvas.
5. It's impossible to draw with transparent color, for example when you want to erase a part of the existing image, or cut a "hole" in drawing canvas. Actions like "Fill rectangle" with color rgba(0, 0, 0, 0) have no effect. Maybe there needs to be an option "Replace pixels=Yes/No".
6. Flood fill, or bucket fill, similar to the one in Animation editor.
7. Load image from URL. As I understand, currently the only option is to load it into a sprite, then paste onto the canvas.
Ashley, Nepeo, could you please comment, are any of these changes possible?