idea to include "panning" to Audio Object

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • Since learning the Audio Object's Action Play At Object is broken (plays distorted audio), I filed a bug report. However, the problem is with Chrome, so I am recommending adding pan as a field in the regular Play Action. Even though we would still have to calculate the pan manually ourselves (for positioned audio), it would still give us the ability to make positioned audio by using volume and pan.

Vote if you want to be able to have the ability to do positioned audio.

Thanks!

construct3.ideas.aha.io/ideas/C3-I-1230

Tagged:

• Vote!

• jobel Hi there. Do you have any links to info on this chrome issue, or specifically with construct? I'm trying to research it. Also I up-voted your feature request.

Thanks

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • calminthenight I had been using positioned audio on every project until one day I started hearing really bad audio corruption. I did a bunch of my own tests and confirmed it. It was mostly noticeable with thick looping sounds. But it happened at all sounds, it just was easier to hear on a sound like a constant laser beam loop.

So I started changing the volume dynamically based on where the player is and that's how I simulate the same effect (sort of) and I never looked back! But I should check to see if Chrome fixed it. When I get some time I will check it again. But honestly, it used to work fine for years until one day it didn't. So I'm not so keen to go back to it.

EDIT: I just tested it again, and YES it is still there. unusable!

• jobel

I found a chromium bug report (maybe yours) and uploaded a small example using some JS from a guys site. The problem still exists and it looks as though it's a chromium issue. you can see the latest post with the example by me here: bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail

Hopefully that smaller example can help them diagnose it.

I just switched a fairly large project from positioned to non-positioned for the same reason. I encountered issues even with the non-positioned audio when using "set volume" every tick however, switching to "fade volume" with a time of 0.1s on every tick removed those issues.

Have you encountered any issues with the non-positional audio?

• calminthenight

I updated my post. I just ran a test and I still hear the issue when using "Play At Object".

I issued a bug report on github for Construct thinking no way this is a Chromium bug. But I guess it is. There was a user that posted on my bug report that said he issued the bug report to Google.

I honestly don't think this will be fixed anytime soon.

I also work in sound design, so I have a critical ear when it comes to this. The problem is that audio is often overlooked in all walks of life, so I can hardly blame the powers-that-be.

Currently in my tests the audio artifacts are extremely subtle to moderately noticeable. The issue I have is that when you make a large game with lots of overlapping sounds, the problem will just multiply and end up creating something that many will just think is glitchy, laggy, gameplay. But to me it will sound broken. So I've moved on.

I have not noticed any issues with doing something like:

Play at Volume: -(distance(enemy.X,enemy.Y,Player.X,Player.Y) / 50) -10

• jobel I'm a career audio engineer so I think it affects us more than it would others :)

Yes using your method there should be no problem, however if you were instead to play a file and then update the volume using 'set volume' every tick there are noticeable artifacts every tick. These aren't present if you use 'fade volume' instead.

e.g.

My point is that while this is definitely a chromium issue, I think the issue lies with how frame-rate(tick) dependent updates are made to audio. This would explain the positional panning artifacts and the set volume artifacts (panning is just volume adjustments anyway). Given that using 'fade volume' does not reproduce the issue, it's implementation in chromium may somehow be non-tick dependent. Hopefully this means that this method can be used for panning in the future.

All just thoughts.

• calminthenight

I think the issue lies with how frame-rate(tick) dependent updates are made to audio. This would explain the positional panning artifacts and the set volume artifacts (panning is just volume adjustments anyway). Given that using 'fade volume' does not reproduce the issue, it's implementation in chromium may somehow be non-tick dependent.

I would say you are right about that, but I've been using positioned audio in Construct 2 since 2013 and it was never an issue. (until about a year ago)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)