No good "Loader style" options for NWJS?

1 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Slot Machine Games. suitable for workers who work from home because it has player names that must be played alternately
  • At the moment I have "nothing" selected for "loader style" as all else don't seem to work well for me. But it's not good because it means there's no loading feedback.

For my game, clicking the .exe then having it finish loading takes about:

• 3 seconds for goodish computer
    • 5 seconds for Steam Deck
    • 8 seconds for average to low computers

Which means it's just showing a black window for a while. And may be confusing as to whether it's frozen or not.

"Loader layout" does not seem to work with NWjs, unless I'm doing something wrong.

If I selected "percentage" or "progress bar": it shows black window for only a third of the time, then for the remaining time it shows the percentage/bar. BUT they're frozen, it just stays at "0%" or an empty rectangle bar. So while this feedback is useful to know that something has loaded, it's also not ideal, because the user may think something is broken for it to stay stuck at 0%.

Maybe I'll keep the setting on rectangle ("progress bar") as that's at least showing some form of change during loading, and might be the least intrusive and confusing option.

The "progress bar and logo" option doesn't seem great either, since the progress bar doesn't move, and the logo is just using an icon files — which feels out of place.

And "construct splash" is too intrusive/advertising feeling.

I'd be content if I could just have a simple line of text that says "Loading". So that people know that something is happening.

(I don't use the "package assets" option, as that slows the startup time.)

• I think loader layouts are designed to be shown while the project resources are downloading in a web export. With an offline export like NW.js or WebView2, all resources are available locally with no need to download them, so I think in that case it skips any loading phase and just assumes everything is available, and so there is no load time (at least in the perspective of the engine).

So in theory as long as the first layout is small (i.e. does not load loads of images), it should load quickly.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Made me remember the project setting "preload sounds".

So I unticked that, and it made the startup about 50% faster! Since I have around 770 sfx files.

Maybe I should preload the sounds over time during the main menu.

But I'm actually not noticing any perceivable lag with that preload setting turned off!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)