GIFPlayer (new plugin that plays GIFs from project file or URL)

• New plugin to play GIFs (with control on a per frame basis, speed, pause, play, etc.) You can also apply effects and the usual general object ACEs.

kindeyegames.itch.io/gifplayer-construct-3-addon

If you try it out, please leave feedback here or in the addon comments.

• This is amazing! Thank you for another great extension.

Unfortunately, the plugin does not playback gif files unless I resize game window. Example works just fine.

Here's a link to the project. (resize the window after preview was started)

By the way, it seems to be way more optimized than default sprite object with frames imported from gif animation. Memory usage is super small for me when previewing the example .c3p file.

• Thanks!

I think I know why you are seeing that issue, I should be able to fix it in the plugin. Thanks for the bug report and supplying an example project, which is always very helpful for debug.

Meanwhile for further testing in your project add a rotating sprite in your layout. This will make sure the GIF render to C3 happens every frame, including at the start.

On the memory side, the GIF is not storing much data in the GPU memory, but a lot in CPU memory (each decoded frame.) So the memory usage may show up in another way, just something to be aware of.

• Thanks!

I think I know why you are seeing that issue, I should be able to fix it in the plugin. Thanks for the bug report and supplying an example project, which is always very helpful for debug.

Meanwhile for further testing in your project add a rotating sprite in your layout. This will make sure the GIF render to C3 happens every frame, including at the start.

On the memory side, the GIF is not storing much data in the GPU memory, but a lot in CPU memory (each decoded frame.) So the memory usage may show up in another way, just something to be aware of.

Thank you for reply! Glad to hear that this bug is going to be fixed.

Rotating sprite definitely resolves the gif display issue. I will continue to try other features of the plugin.

Also thanks for pointing out the memory usage thing. At the moment debugger shows about ~13% CPU usage (vs ~320mb with a sprite object) when the gif is playing. As I play it only for a short amount of time it's a pretty good solution for me!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Updated with fix, version 1.0.1, the test project now plays the GIF on start of layout without resizing or any other C3 objects. Thanks for the bug report and test project.

kindeyegames.itch.io/gifplayer-construct-3-addon

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)