Game Performance on Android sucks

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • Any use? My concern is...if my phone was so crap...why can I play Dead Cells but not my game!!

• No the question is why do any other games work but not yours?

• Ayy, you should post the project file, or a more simple version. Makes it easier to rule out event performance issues.

• I'm not sure but there have been plenty of Construct games on Android/iOS that run fine. So the only variable is your actual game (unfortunately). Perhaps its something in the export or something you are doing specifically that doesn't perform well on mobile.

I myself have a full physics game that I run on my 5 year old Android phone and it works without an issue. But I used Cocoon for the apk.

• I guess the answer is to create in GMS2...it's a 2 layout app with no scrolling.80 objects. If I have to optimise the crap out of that in Construct, I owe it to myself to try another engine for comparison.

• well first it's not that you have to "optimize the crap out of" anything. If you've written inefficient or "heavy-handed" events/actions its going to be a problem no matter the engine.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I am not making Doom 5. It’s a spinning target sprite with some ballon sprites pinned to it.

• Seems like you could replicate the issue with minimal events then.

• Well, yeah, you're right, Doom 5 or any triple A game would need to optimise their code extremely high.

You may be doing something that's considered expensive even in 2D or 3D, such as doing too many collision checks per tick (let's say its in the hundreds thousands, your poor little phone CPU will choke on that).

Or maybe your picking logic is too heavy (phones are not databases and you need to minimise reoccurring picking. Even with 80 sprites, if you had several "for each" loops then you quickly multiply the engine needing to re-pick everything all over again).

Or maybe your use of effects (maybe not as you mentioned gpu usage is down).

I'm making random guesses as we have no clue what your game is designed like. How about check the event CPU profiler, see which group of events (if you have used groups) that is the heaviest on the CPU, and then post a screenshot of the events within that group so we can check it out?

Even a typical phone's UI that you use everyday is not updating at 60fps, or even 30fps - it updates the areas of the screen as it is needed, so sometimes it's sitting at 0fps - optimisation is needed, even in games that seem simple!

• You've already been asked to post your project file at least twice in the topic.

Perhaps, before "recreating in a different engine" you could share your project with the community so we can check it out and find out what may be missing or going on ?

• I guess I am somewhat nervous of posting my entire capx publicly. It’s the first game I ever got close to completing for publishing.

• I guess I am somewhat nervous of posting my entire capx publicly. It’s the first game I ever got close to completing for publishing.

Don't do that. Nobody wants to debug stuff that's not relevant.

Replicate the main mechanics in a separate project.

Welcome to gamedev.

Can you test your game on some other mobile. Maybe that mobile GPU doesn't work well with construct 3

• Now this is interesting. Run the game from the editor in chrome...60 FPS on the phone. The debug APK on the same phone sucks balls. Loading up the editor on mobile and running it, gives me what I would expect for such a simple game.

• Now this is interesting. Run the game from the editor in chrome...60 FPS on the phone. The debug APK on the same phone sucks balls. Loading up the editor on mobile and running it, gives me what I would expect for such a simple game.

Then in that case your source code does not have any bugs related to performance. Likely a bug on construct 3 side

Well try with signed apk with simple minification (whenever I face issue on mobile side I simply flick back to simple minification and many times my problem gets solved)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)