free limitations are too limiting

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • Okay, so I'm now trying to edit my project to be within the small limits, the problem is, that any time I try to edit an event, the C3 Editor tells me I'm not allowed when using the Free edition.

This is a problem, since now I can't even edit the project at all.

Frustrating, since if we could buy a copy now to support you early, I would, but this is a nuisance.

I doubt I'm the only one here who would pick up a copy right now to support you, to get around the free limits.

Part of my issue is this: How are we supposed to keep submitting bugs, if we can't really test all that much? You will end up with a massive wave of reports from the bigger projects once people can sub. Wouldn't it make sense to allow a small amount of people to sub now to ease the process?

• I doubt I'm the only one here who would pick up a copy right now to support you, to get around the free limits.

Part of my issue is this: How are we supposed to keep submitting bugs, if we can't really test all that much? You will end up with a massive wave of reports from the bigger projects once people can sub. Wouldn't it make sense to allow a small amount of people to sub now to ease the process?

Ive already mentioned this before and think it should have been implemented. Im sure there are reasons why it wasnt. To be honest, the wait until release isnt that far off. I understand the frustration though.

• Understand the frustration! Couple of things to mention:

• Don't want to start selling now, product needs to go through the beta period to iron out bugs
    • Not interested in selling pre-orders either, not a model we really like and will cause some administrative burdens/extra work to support it

Regarding free edition limits:

• Ashley has said that it's 1,000x easier to fix bugs that are discovered in small projects. It gets much much harder and time consuming to pin down, isolate and fix bugs in bigger projects
    • The Newgrounds jam will have all features unlocked for everyone
    • Having said all this, if the bugs do start drying up prior to the jam (because we've fixed them all!) we might consider expanding the events. But as it stands, we've got plenty to be getting on with.
  • Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • We've had over 200 bug reports in the space of about a week, so I'm really not worried that we're not finding enough bugs. In fact, I'd rather not have more bug reports at this point!

We are also doing private testing of the full version which is helping iron out bugs, and the Newgrounds jam is intended to flush out any last ones that slipped through the net.

• We are also doing private testing of the full version which is helping iron out bugs, and the Newgrounds jam is intended to flush out any last ones that slipped through the net.

Let's just hope that one week will be enough for that. You might want to consider expanding the beta (or delaying the release) if something unexpected happens during the jam.

• Tom I just wanted to thank both you and Ashley for the enormous amount of transparency you guys are able to provide. Like the original post's author, I'm grumpy I can't have the paid version yet, and it basically means I'm waiting till May to import my project and start digging in to C3, but it means a lot that you guys take the time to talk to us and explain the reasons behind what you're doing.

In the mean time, Construct 2 is still pretty cool. ^_^

Keep up the awesome work, guys!

• No problem and thank you for the comment, much appreciated!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)