I decided to start a new topic since I gathered a few opinions and suggestions for the editor UI and usability, and I didn't think it would fit completely into any topic. I tried the new r13 version and it seemed that my points are still valid (though I removed some as reading trough the release notes, since those were fixed). I'm sorry if any of the following were fixed/changed since. In that case, please ignore that entry.
First about the free event limitations: I understand why Scirra is limiting the events more, but I'd like to throw in an idea: What about letting users increase their event limit even more after 50 (maybe up to 75) based on their activity and usage of the product? I'm thinking about something like "Complete your profile": view a tutorial, introduce yourself in the forum, etc..
And now for the editor (things I think should be fixed/added in the beta):
- I missed the option to set the object's name right in the Insert new object window. It's a bit bothersome to always right-click the object and rename it in the project tree.
- When you use the keyboard's On key pressed condition and make the event an "OR" block it should allow to use the condition again (like it does in C2). Right now you need to make separate events to support multiple key presses for the same logic.
- It could be a time saver to be able to copy frames from an animation to an other.
- When I delete a frame from the middle of an animation it selects the first frame of the animation. Making it deleting following frames by hitting the Delete key multiple times uncomfortable, since you have to select each frame with the mouse.
- When I copy and paste an action, I think the pasted action should go to the bottom of the existing action list, not to the top.
- When I activated Google Drive saving the editor didn't show my account profile picture, just a dashed cloud. A restart was required to fix this. Now I just tried it on a different computer and it works just fine (displaying my profile picture), but I think it's worthwhile to mention this.
- The exported projects still have the Construct 2 splash screen.
- It would be important to allow previewing in multiple browsers. I don't know that if it's possible or not as a browser based software, but if it's not then a link to the local preview could be displayed and copied into other browsers manually (it would be better than nothing and it could work on offline devices as well).
- When editing expressions (or variable values) I can't select the value already in that field with double clicking on the field. I have to specifically double click on the value. This is bothersome if you have a long input field but just a short value in it (I'm talking about the default variable values specifically).
- Adding a new placeable object (tested it with Text and Sprite) in the project tree while viewing an event sheet leaves the mouse in the "placing mode", forcing the user to switch to a layout and place the object. I think it would be better to just add the object to the project tree and leave placing it later for the user.
As for new features (ones I think should be added in the future):
1) Save custom layouts to use from the settings menu.
2) Being able to dock the preview window.