Failed to Open Project!

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
With this template you can create your own archer game and customize it however you want.
  • Hi guys!

I have an issue that I can not solve!

I have a game that I am developing in these months, but in the last days I can not open it!

I receive this message: "Failed to open project. Check it is a valid Construct 3 single-file (.c3p) project."

I have tried with some older version of the Game (I have like 10 backups of this last months) and with older version of Construct (r190, r186 ecc). But nothing happen.

Please help me, I really need it!

Thank you,

Matteo

Tagged:

• As with any digital work, it is essential to make regular backups to protect your work in the event of a software/hardware failure, fire, flood, theft, etc.

If you share the project file, I could try to recover it, but I cannot guarantee anything (e.g. if hardware failure overwrote the entire file with zeros, there's nothing that can be done).

• As with any digital work, it is essential to make regular backups to protect your work in the event of a software/hardware failure, fire, flood, theft, etc.

If you share the project file, I could try to recover it, but I cannot guarantee anything (e.g. if hardware failure overwrote the entire file with zeros, there's nothing that can be done).

I have like ten different backups, like one per months of last ten months! But from some weeks, no one of them is working in no version of C3. It's really wierd!

You can find three different backup version of the game here: we.tl/t-yjjGDvY14A

If you can help me it would be great!

Best,

Matteo

• Which of the three projects do you want me to try to recover?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Which of the three projects do you want me to try to recover?

In order of importance:

BEST: "Copy of 1.3-CrazyBallPharma"

SECOND OPTION: "CrazyNewBallHall"

LAST ATTEMPT: "CrazyNewBall"

Thank you Ashley!

• I've taken a quick look and I'm afraid I don't think it's feasible to recover any of them, at first investigation.

The problem is the project is set to use the C3 runtime, but it still uses a lot of the third-party LiteTween addon. I tested with the version available here. This addon is only available in the C2 runtime.

It should be impossible to set this up, because Construct will stop you switching the runtime if the project uses any C2-only features, including third-party addons.

Not only does the project use the LiteTween addon, it also uses several C3 runtime specific features, such as the new built-in Tween behavior, and the new built-in functions, both of which are not available in the C2 runtime.

So all three projects use a significant number of features only available in either the C2 runtime or the C3 runtime, so it's not possible to set a runtime where it works. For example I tried modifying the project file to use the C2 runtime again, but then it fails to load due to the use of C3 runtime features. It appears in both cases there are lots of these features used all through the project, so it doesn't seem feasible to remove them all in a reasonable amount of time.

As I said Construct should prevent you using features or switching runtime where there is any incompatibility. My best guess is either the project files were edited manually outside of Construct, corrupting them, or there are different versions of the third-party LiteTween plugin around, and you installed the wrong version (possibly an earlier version) that corrupted your project. Maybe there is a version of the LiteTween plugin around that supports the C3 runtime - if so that may fix the problem. Unfortunately third-party plugins are the responsibility of their respective developers, so that's out of my hands.

• I've taken a quick look and I'm afraid I don't think it's feasible to recover any of them, at first investigation.

The problem is the project is set to use the C3 runtime, but it still uses a lot of the third-party LiteTween addon. I tested with the version available here. This addon is only available in the C2 runtime.

It should be impossible to set this up, because Construct will stop you switching the runtime if the project uses any C2-only features, including third-party addons.

Not only does the project use the LiteTween addon, it also uses several C3 runtime specific features, such as the new built-in Tween behavior, and the new built-in functions, both of which are not available in the C2 runtime.

So all three projects use a significant number of features only available in either the C2 runtime or the C3 runtime, so it's not possible to set a runtime where it works. For example I tried modifying the project file to use the C2 runtime again, but then it fails to load due to the use of C3 runtime features. It appears in both cases there are lots of these features used all through the project, so it doesn't seem feasible to remove them all in a reasonable amount of time.

As I said Construct should prevent you using features or switching runtime where there is any incompatibility. My best guess is either the project files were edited manually outside of Construct, corrupting them, or there are different versions of the third-party LiteTween plugin around, and you installed the wrong version (possibly an earlier version) that corrupted your project. Maybe there is a version of the LiteTween plugin around that supports the C3 runtime - if so that may fix the problem. Unfortunately third-party plugins are the responsibility of their respective developers, so that's out of my hands.

Hi Ashley!

Thank you very much for your attempt. It is really wired.

Just to help you a give you some information, maybe it could be useful for the future. I have used the LiteTween addon that is still going with other project that I have. I have never edited the file manually (also because I have like 10 backups, and from one day to another, that stopped to work!).

And the Litetween addon has no received any update.

So, just to tell you: don't worry, I will create the game from zero again (with tween and no litetween ;) ), but, there is something wired.

Thank you again for your help!

Matteo

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)