Facebook's Instant Games... ready for prime time???

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Ready to use construct 3 game template and release to mobile divice.
  • To be clear, I'm NOT complaining about Scirra's plugin (I haven't even tried it yet), but the Facebook Instant Games feature itself is giving me fits. I've been so excited about this potential new market for casual games but I'm having a hell of a time getting many of the features to work. Specifically:

1. Earlier today I played some of the top games (on my laptop). That seemed to go okay, but when I tried to invite my wife to play she only got a notification on ONE of the five titles. I attempted to send multiple invites at various points throughout the day with the same result.

2. I'm probably missing something but the games don't seem very discoverable. My Facebook page has a thousand links and buttons on it, so it took awhile to find the Games link on the left side. Then I had to find the "Instant Games" link. Based on what I have been reading I thought I could find the games from within Messenger but so far I haven't been able to do that. (I'm kind of old and I don't use Facebook/Messenger much, so there's that...)

3. I thought maybe I would have more luck with my iPhone but it took me forever to find the Games button and when I tapped it I got a blank screen... repeatedly. Then it dawned on me that I haven't updated Facebook in... forever... so I did that. This time the Games List came up. Awesome. But when I tap any of the games I see this message: "Game Not Available - This feature isn't available yet". (I've tried Words with Friends, EverWing, and a dozen other titles. Same message.)

Is it just me? Is anyone else having trouble?

• To be honest... I think you are just to old then..

First, Instant games are mostly used on mobiles. And the button is there, right in Messenger. You really can't miss it.

• Okay, I just found it. I had to update Messenger first but I can see the Games button now. (My older version of Messenger had no way to access games at all.)

This makes me wonder, though. How many people (non-developers) keep all their apps up-to-date? There was no error message or anything, when I tapped on a game in Facebook it just went to a blank screen. That's not ideal.

Unfortunately, even after updating Facebook AND Messenger on my iPhone the Games button on Facebook still gives me a "Not Available" error for every title.

• Every single person that has a mobile newer than five years and are interested in gaming and/oror are younger than 50 has the most recent version, always, I would say

• Every single person that has a mobile newer than five years and are interested in gaming and/oror are younger than 50 has the most recent version, always, I would say

Yeah, that may be the problem. I'm 56 years old.

• yeah! I didn't think it was possible but I've found some one older than me!!!! (I'm 44)

been trying to get Instant stuff working for a couple of days... can get my test game up and running, its working well - apart from scaling up correctly?!?!! (always a head flip)

BUT - I can't get any of the scoring / leaderboard stuff going yet...

(but I am secretly a little excited!)

• [quote:3qei60gt]yeah! I didn't think it was possible but I've found some one older than me!!!! (I'm 44)

It's kind of a young man's game anymore, isn't it? (I've also been in the industry for a looooong time... mostly as a Game Designer and Producer.) I'm working on a simple word game for Facebook Instant right now, but I'm worried about my ability to get it all working. (The game part won't be a problem, it's leaderboards, social features, submissions, ad stuff, etc.) We'll see how it goes.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Has anybody else seen the message "We are not reviewing apps at this time due to changes we are making to the Facebook Platform" at the top of the app dashboard?

• Has anybody else seen the message "We are not reviewing apps at this time due to changes we are making to the Facebook Platform" at the top of the app dashboard?

I saw that earlier today yes. But that's ok again.

But FB is in serious deep shit, looking over all permissions for apps and shit

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)