Export for old Android versions

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
Dynamic, heavy and powerful rock themes. 11 music tracks.
  • Is there any way to use C3 or C2 to export on old Android versions like Android 4?

I still have some old device that works fine, but I can't create app for those mobile and tables. I am sure that there are other people that would be still happy to prolong their old device life.

Any solution about that?

Thank you

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The official min sdk is 24, which is Android7. So using the latest Cordova their is no official support for any lower versions.

But you can ofcourse always use older versions of cordova and target lower versions if you build on your own.

• I doubt it's feasible to get Construct content working on such old devices. Even Chrome dropped support for Android 4.x devices a few years ago, and supporting very old software platforms gradually becomes harder and harder, much like trying to support Windows 95 today is impossible with any current tools. Besides, mobile devices tend to have their batteries fail, screens degrade, or otherwise have the hardware become unusable after several years. The turnover of mobile devices usually means seeing such old hardware still actively used is vanishingly rare.

• The official min sdk is 24, which is Android7. So using the latest Cordova their is no official support for any lower versions.

But you can ofcourse always use older versions of cordova and target lower versions if you build on your own.

Thank you, I might investigate that :)

• I doubt it's feasible to get Construct content working on such old devices. Even Chrome dropped support for Android 4.x devices a few years ago, and supporting very old software platforms gradually becomes harder and harder, much like trying to support Windows 95 today is impossible with any current tools. Besides, mobile devices tend to have their batteries fail, screens degrade, or otherwise have the hardware become unusable after several years. The turnover of mobile devices usually means seeing such old hardware still actively used is vanishingly rare.

Ashley Would in theory a game exported with C2 have old enough requirements to be able to export in such way?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (tablet) sine 2012, it works well aside have no supported apps anymore. The only issue is the power button, so I have to press it hard to turn it on or off. The only solution is keep it permanently on, with airplane mode and wifi off. So the battery last even 1 month. Then I plug the headset jack to turn the screen on (I use a broken jack as button basically). I have other old mobiles too that still works.

I guess the only way it to play browser games, but then there is no a great way to monetise those.

• Are you planning on just playing your own games on your own super old hardware or are you planning to release and monetize games?

If you plan the later you can just give up, there is no people using such old devices anymore and the games will run terrible. You are also not allowed to upload any apps at all that target old apis to any store either. and to target new apis you will require new versions of all sdks and they will not support your old android api. So this will probably technically not work.

• Yeah, the publishing requirements for Google Play usually change every year, and tools like Construct have to keep updating to ensure publishing is still possible. So old software will most likely not be able to be used for publishing any more. If you're happy with just getting a debug APK on one specific device then you might be able to use some older tools.

• The idea is to bypass the store and sell directly the APK on my websites or other website that might allow it. I am aware that at that stage the game can be copied, but at least it will become a sort of advertising for a full-featured game for PC.

Another option I was considering is to raise funds to get the app done, then once the funds are reached the app can be freely downloaded.

I am trying to explore different business models to break free from corporations if I can.

Ashley is every Chromium release under Google's control? I mean is Google technically able to know who uses my app because it's made with Construct that uses Chromium to run the app itself? I guess the same applies for PC games, correct?

• Ashley is every Chromium release under Google's control? I mean is Google technically able to know who uses my app because it's made with Construct that uses Chromium to run the app itself? I guess the same applies for PC games, correct?

I don't believe Chrome or the Android WebView (used for Android apps) tracks people to the level of identifying which website URLs they visit or which apps they use. There's a lot of privacy legislation around the world that would probably make that illegal, and if it emerged they were doing that anyway it would likely be a PR disaster for them. However there are various telemetry systems included in Chrome and Android WebView, although as I understand it, they are used only for technical purposes, such as measuring the number of crashes, and controlling (or reverting) the roll-out of complex new features.

That's what I believe the situation to be, but if you want the full details you'll have to read through Google's full privacy policies for Chrome and Android, and trust that they abide by what they've written (which I think you can generally count on as they can face serious legal action if they do something different).

• If you plan to sell games, why on earth do you want to target Android4? That is almost 15 years old!

No one that buy games will ever use an Android4 device, that's for sure.

• > Ashley is every Chromium release under Google's control? I mean is Google technically able to know who uses my app because it's made with Construct that uses Chromium to run the app itself? I guess the same applies for PC games, correct?

I don't believe Chrome or the Android WebView (used for Android apps) tracks people to the level of identifying which website URLs they visit or which apps they use. There's a lot of privacy legislation around the world that would probably make that illegal, and if it emerged they were doing that anyway it would likely be a PR disaster for them. However there are various telemetry systems included in Chrome and Android WebView, although as I understand it, they are used only for technical purposes, such as measuring the number of crashes, and controlling (or reverting) the roll-out of complex new features.

That's what I believe the situation to be, but if you want the full details you'll have to read through Google's full privacy policies for Chrome and Android, and trust that they abide by what they've written (which I think you can generally count on as they can face serious legal action if they do something different).

Thank you Ashley for the details. Well, to be honest considering who are the major stakeholders of Google I don't trust what their policy says. But anyway, that's going inside a rabbit hole that no many people are interesting to explore or willing to accept. When you control media, courts and have so much power, you can't be knocked down easily. History, especially recent one, is full of those examples. See for example YouTube and their current changes of policies + shadowban. Plus with the new censorship coming out in Europe in 3 days life will become more and more a very bumpy road.

• If you plan to sell games, why on earth do you want to target Android4? That is almost 15 years old!

No one that buy games will ever use an Android4 device, that's for sure.

Why not? If it works on Android 4 it works also on newer versions, so it's just an additional option.

I wanted to buy some apps for my tablet and I couldn't because not supported.

Of course I am not going to develop a 3d MMORPG for Android 4.

But anyway, that's a thing to explore, I am happy to spend a bit of time to see if it's possible and if it works, if not, I can still export the game for newer version so no issue for me aside for find out how to export for old Android versions.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)