Edit: as of r55, Firefox support is enabled by default. You no longer need the special URL!
We've been working on cross-browser compatibility for C3 behind the scenes for a while now, and we're ready to start testing Firefox support. This support is experimental! Please do not do serious work in it at this time, or if you do, back up regularly! The aim of this is solely to start finding Firefox-specific bugs, and help establish how well Firefox works for Construct 3 at the moment.
Currently if you visit Construct 3 in Firefox you will still see a "not supported" message. There is a special URL to test in Firefox at the end of this post. We don't think we'll have official Firefox support for a while yet, due to some Firefox bugs (see below). However you can still help us test Firefox support which in the long term will help stop us being limited to Chrome.
There are a few known issues that affect C3 in Firefox:
- The Layout View can be slow to render and scroll due to bug 1163426
- UI animations are currently disabled due to bug 1354501
- Firefox does not support CSS containment, which helps make sure CSS layout is fast, so the editor may perform poorly compared to Chrome in some cases
- Firefox does not support <dialog> elements, so we are using a polyfill, but this may cause some dialogs to behave slightly differently
- There are various other minor issues noted in the 'Platform information' dialog (Menu -> About -> Platform information)
Try Construct 3 in Firefox
To help test Construct 3 in Firefox:
1. Download Firefox if you don't have it already. Choose the 64-bit version if you can. You may also want to test with Firefox Nightly which is experimental but two versions ahead, so may work better with C3.
2. Make sure you're using the latest version by selecting Menu -> Help -> About. The current stable version of Firefox is 55, make sure you're on at least that version or newer.
3. In Firefox 55+, visit this URL: editor.construct.net/?firefox-alpha-for-testing-only
4. Construct 3 should start! You'll see an extra warning - please take care since Firefox support is experimental and we can't guarantee the stability of it at this time. There may well be issues like silently corrupting project files that we're not yet aware of. If you want to do real work, stick to Chrome for now.
If you find bugs, please post them on the Construct 3 issue tracker on GitHub. Please note at this time we are prioritising Chrome support so Firefox bugs have a lower priority and may take longer to be investigated/fixed. If you have general feedback, please post a reply here! We're keen to hear how it works for you.