Engine Performance Proportional To The Time A Project Remains Open?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • Mostly a question for Ashley,

I've come across a performance issue involving the time it takes to change the position of event sheet elements, and it appears to be dependent on how long the project has been open.

In general, submitting a bug report involves submitting a project that can reproduce the issue.

However in this case, it appears to be a duration-dependent issue that might take hours to notice the performance hit.

How would you recommend I submit a bug report for this?

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Alternatively, as a band-aid approach, I could of course just close the project and re-open it every few hours.

(Main reason I don't do this is due to the time it takes to open large projects)

• Similar issue:-

What exactly happens:-

When I start working, in the beginning Construct 3 (editor) works fine. But after approx 1 hour, editor lags horribly (although project runs smoothly)

What I do:-

I have a Ryzen 5600H laptop. I tweaked settings in AMD software & selected "performance" instead of "battery optimisation". Also I noticed that issue dissapeared when I used my laptop in plugged mode.

Maybe our issues are different but I am adding few inputs just in case

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Similar issue:-

What exactly happens:-

When I start working, in the beginning Construct 3 (editor) works fine. But after approx 1 hour, editor lags horribly (although project runs smoothly)

What I do:-

I have a Ryzen 5600H laptop. I tweaked settings in AMD software & selected "performance" instead of "battery optimisation". Also I noticed that issue dissapeared when I used my laptop in plugged mode.

Maybe our issues are different but I am adding few inputs just in case

I work on a desktop, but thanks for your input.

• Looks very similar to my issue:

construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/general-discussion-7/help-editor-randomly-lagging-173900

Freezes in the expression editor are the worst. But there are also lags when dragging events or objects in layout view, very much like in your video.

Only in my case the issue seems to be random, I am not sure if it gets worse the longer the editor is open.

• I noticed similar lag multiple times when trying to select text (double click) in a js script file. And script's content was really small.

A restart always solved the selection lag.

• Memory Footprint - Comparing Projects - Based On Time Open

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Almost double the memory footprint despite the projects having equal content.

I'm curious if undo,redo,save,create,delete and related operations are potentially leaking memory to somehow?

• I'm afraid it's almost impossible to do anything about this without steps to reproduce. If you can find some action that you can repeat over and over and observe a performance degradation in the editor, then an issue could be filed based on that.

It could potentially be related to undo, but it's nothing more than a wild guess at this point.

If the editor is being slow a performance profile in dev tools can sometimes, but not always, offer a vague clue that might help narrow down the search a bit, but may not offer much more than that.

You could also try closing all the editor windows and tabs (e.g. project bar, layout views, event sheet views) and opening them one by one, and see if it's slow only when certain ones are open. Again that might offer a vague clue, but little more than that. As ever steps to reproduce are the gold standard.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)