I don't like Construct's Undo/Redo

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Tap the ball, control it, avoid touching spikes and score higher!
  • Whenever I do undo/redo it never tells me where the last undo happened, instead just tells me that an event was edited, deleted etc.

This is how do I check where was my last undo/redo happened.

If I my last action was DELETE an event or action or condition

Then Just to check where my last action happened I continuously press undo and redo and then I do explore each event sheet and look if the size of the scroll bar of the event sheet is changing. This is a very painful process.

If my last action was EDIT an event or action or condition.

then just to check that editing I have to look at the entire screen continuously while freezing myself and continuously press undo and redo So if there is any change then changes will flash on screen. This is an even more painful process.

I do one more thing to find bugs. First I do lots of undo and check preview until there is no bug and then simply redo several times by counting it and check again preview If no bug then more redo and preview and check until bug was found. Then I use the above 2 steps to find that change happening with redo-undo. Once bug event found then I do all the redo again until end then simply go to that specific event and change

to avoid all of the above things I mostly do not save changes until a specific task is not completely done and if any mistake is done and I didn't find where that change was then I simply open another Editor and open that file again. by this I open the same file twice, one with changes and another without changes.

• So what change are you proposing?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yeah I agree is not really helpful.

There is a Feature Request here that provides a simple solution:

https://construct3-21h2.ideas.aha.io/ideas/C321H2-I-62

also, there is another Feature Request for the same thing:

https://construct3-21h2.ideas.aha.io/ideas/C321H2-I-229

• it should show sheet names and line number where change happened

• Aha it was fun reading your post, as I always do the same thing with undo/redo (where you constantly undo and redo and see if the event sheet scrolls, if not, then scroll up a bit, then undo redo again and again).

I do agree that it could be improved. Like when you press undo or redo, it pops up at the bottom of the screen. If that popup just included a tiny bit more information, like "event sheet: Blah. Event number: 177" that would be a major help in speeding things up.

But then, clicking the popup to make it take you to the specific event (much like double-clicking on a "find" or "find all references" result) would be VERY useful.

Suggestions platform is looked at by Scirra, but I'd take the guess that things like this won't get voted up much. I checked a few recent pages on suggestions platform up to a few weeks ago, and most have 1 to 3 votes, a couple have 6 votes, but 6 votes might be 2 people since 1 person can add 3 votes on an idea, then it just slowly disappears in the sea of ideas. 🌊 Unless people draw attention to their idea by using the forum to start a discussion I guess.

• I exactly do it like you does.

I'm even in stress when I switch undo/redo because if a fail, I will lost the path between if you know what I mean

Just a highlighted event would be so great

• Yes, I also get stressed sometimes when I press and hold Ctrl+Z for a long time then it could crash anytime.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)