Desktop App

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
The internet is bombarded daily with new apps (app is the short term for application)
  • Are there any plans to make a desktop app?

So many difficulties with this browser version

It is lugging, got to press several times the preview button to start the preview, neverending notifications from the browser, always asking to update, even when there is a checkbox not ask about beta updates.

• There is a desktop app.

But believe me, it has more problems than the web version. I've been using it for several years, but it became practically unusable lately, so I had to switch back to web.

• NW.js is also a browser, isn't it?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Create a new user profile in microsoft edge with no addon, and Install construct as an App on that user, It feel like desktop app for me.

• Edge is the same chrome. It eats less ram but more battery power. Also, I'm getting errors while opening C3 in chrome

• Use the "Install as app" option in Construct and you can install it locally where it works just like a desktop app.

I would advise against using the NW.js app - it's only really actually useful if you need to regularly test features of the NW.js plugin. If you don't need to do that, it's the same as you'd get in the browser, but browsers tend to be better tested.

• But it is the same as work in the browser even worst because you need to update the offline version on every app start, and without the internet, you will not open your work at all(because it was done in the newer version)

Also, it is not resolving main issues, as big memory usage of the chrome, mixin app with other tabs of the browser especially testing games, that has the same icon and the name on the tab as an app (that is very weird)

and as i said before Ui is not a very good reaction to the touches. You need to press several times on the preview somehow to start the preview

(by the way why you hide debug preview, it is a very needed option)

• Construct works offline - you have to make sure you wait for the "ready to use offline" message though, otherwise it's not finished saving for offline use.

I just opened the editor in a Chrome tab and opened the Ghost Shooter example project, and after a while the memory usage according to Chrome's task manager settled on about 120mb. That seems perfectly reasonable to me. If other tabs or browser extensions use lots of memory, that's not due to Construct.

• Yes, it works. But if you updated it later(through popup) message, and changed your game in the newer version, you will need to update it every time when you open the app.

And i really do not know how to delete and download the C3 again. And I assume if I will do it, will need to update again all plugins, set up UI etc.

About memory issues, yes, it is because I'm opening other tabs too, it is part of my work. And it is chrome issues. But I'm telling you about it, bad chrome memory handling makes issues in the C3 too.

You can see here how long scenes are loading youtu.be/biwDXyb1JBA it is happening very often, every time when chrome goes out of memory or something like this, it is not super critical but just annoying because im doing this operation thousands of times per day.

• Those scenes take a moment to load because our own code discards them when you're not looking at them... to save memory! It's nothing to do with Chrome. And if you have a bunch of other tabs open using memory, I don't see how that has anything to do with Construct. If you have them open while you work, then even if we made a native app, presumably you'd still have those other tabs open?

Whenever anyone says "I don't like using Construct in the browser" I always ask these questions to try to figure out what the real problem is, since if there is some real problem, we can try to fix it. But I can never seem to work out what any real problem might be. Which is part of the reason I still think it's absolutely fine - in fact great - to have browser-based software.

• Construct works offline - you have to make sure you wait for the "ready to use offline" message though, otherwise it's not finished saving for offline use.

I just opened the editor in a Chrome tab and opened the Ghost Shooter example project, and after a while the memory usage according to Chrome's task manager settled on about 120mb. That seems perfectly reasonable to me. If other tabs or browser extensions use lots of memory, that's not due to Construct.

I must be doing something wrong here because I can't use Construct offline. I can even open the app and load an existing project, but the preview doesn't work, and I can't create new projects.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)