Creating the "switch" UI element

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
High quality sound effect pack, in the following categories: Burst, Burn loop, Flame column, whoosh
  • Construct 3 has the button object that can be used to make html buttons and checkboxes.

These are great, but I want some robust switches for my game. Like the ones you see in most phone settings UIs.

It's basically a checkbox, but better. I've found that coding them by hand is surprisingly difficult when you want to support both tapping, and sliding. I'm pretty sure most browsers have a default object for this, and it would be cool if it was another option in the button object.

Is there a way to style a button into one of these?

I've programed my own, but they aren't as slick as native ones.

• Even though that kind of control is pretty ubiquitous, they are not standard HTML form controls, so no, there is no built in element that behaves like that.

When you see them on a website, they were either coded specifically for it (using a combo of HTML, CSS and Javascript) or more likely part of the UI library the website is using.

On mobile, if the app is native it is likely using what the corresponding operating system provides to produce those controls. If it is running in a wrapper, like C3 exports do, they are doing the same thing a website would do to show them, either custom code or a library.

In my opinion, if you already found you can roll out your own relatively easily with just tapping support... go for that! More often than not you can get stuck in things that seem very important to you, but your users will most likely not even notice and will just roll with the control working properly by just tapping it.

If you still want to do it and know how to work with HTML, CSS and Javascript you can take a look at how popular UI libraries do it.

• I guess that's that then. Thanks!

• On Android at least, sliding these toggles is not a thing. It may be simpler to treat them as separate functions.

For tap toggles, there is copy and pastable css that should work in C3. w3schools.com/howto/howto_css_switch.asp

I'd use slider bars for a slide switch rather than a button.

• Thanks! I'll check it out. Looks passing grade to me!

Oh, that's interesting. On my android I can slide and tap them. It's super satisfying.

Tapping works great though. I'll think about how I want to do it and read the article.

• What version of Android? Go to any settings tab, those toggles are not draggable in Android 12 at least. If you're talking about a particular app, then it was manually implemented in that app by the developer.

Edit: Just tried implementing it myself, might not be quite so simple. Looks like C3 either doesn't support css positioning or overwrites it or something. I'll fiddle around with it some more to see if I can get something working.

• Okay I experimented a bit and found that you can use it as is, copy and paste, if you use an html element object instead of a button/checkbox object.

Example here - dropbox.com/scl/fi/bxzdcams8yok369489fss/csstoggleexample.c3p

The way they have it set up is that they use a <span> element nested in the <input type="checkbox"> element, which is used as a flexible empty element for the visual shape and animation. You unfortunately can't do this with the built in button object, since you can only put text in that and not other html elements, and the css wizardry involved in making the animation don't work on the checkbox element itself (afaik anyways, might be worth experimenting with later). That's why in the linked example they just hide the checkbox, and use a visible <span> as a toggle switch.

That said, it does work as an HTML element. The problem is that you lose the button conditions - namely "Compare text" and "Is checked", and the actions "Set text" "Set checked" and "Toggle checked". I'd say this is mostly manageable, as you can use/compare a boolean instance variable on the html element as a condition, and similarly another instance variable to compare text. The HTML element has the "On clicked" and "On CSS animation ended" conditions, which should be sufficient for most use cases (use those to set the boolean instance variable to true or false).

I'll try some more things to see what I can do with the button object. I just learned that for checkbox type buttons in particular, the "Set CSS style" action applies the css to the <label> parent element, while the class property in the layout editor is applied actual <input type="checkbox"> element. However, you can also use the "Set attribute" action to give the <label> a class as well. The normal button doesn't have this quirk at all, since it doesn't generate nested elements and is just an <input type="button"> by itself.

Ps - Thanks again to the Construct team for implementing css and html support, it really opens up a lot of possibility for some slick UI implementations, which a lot of users ask for. Too bad it's not particularly accessible for those not really familiar with CSS, and also the minor issue of not having control of the structure of element nesting (mostly solved by having the HTML object now, but then we don't get the ACEs for the form elements as above).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm on android 13. I was just in the Wi-Fi settings. But it's not a behavior exclusive to android, I've seen that behavior in most UI. In my experience the tap exclusive setup is the exception outside of the web. Maybe I'm weird and like to slide more haha.

Ok, thanks for looking into it. It's obviously not an integral part of my game, but I'll have to play with all that and see what I decide. It could be a good chance to get better at html UI.

I feel like the switch is more intuitive for communicating ’turn this on or off' , whereas the checkbox is more like 'these are the elements you are interacting with'. Ya know?

Construct 3 is pretty dang robust. I'm thoroughly impressed with it. I see construct 3 potentially becoming more than just game and anomation software. It's really close to being an interactive web design tool. Obviously a different route, but I've considered just building my webpages with it at times haha.

I'm not practiced enough in web languages to comment more lol.

I might just use a regular checkbox or spend some time making one by hand out of a sprite. Thanks for all your research!

• I did it - clean too, pure css with the default button-checkbox.

dropbox.com/scl/fi/iiqc0sxnox003ghok3vyd/csstogglebuttonexample.c3p

Not quite complete, it's a fixed size and doesn't scale with layout/fullscreen scaling yet. I'll update the same file when I get that figured out.

• oosyrag

YOU'RE EPIC.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)