Crash on Chrome corrupted project saving process

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
Minimalist Crash Balls is a game where the goal is to hit the ball on the portal, with 20 different levels :)
  • I had this problem, i was saving into the GDrive and suddenly Chrome crashed, just the error screen poped out and closed Construct3.

When i went to the drive to open it again, the file was corrupted and couldn't open and there was no backup at all.

So, with backup system implemented and all, how is C3 protected against explorer crashes, internet disconnections, GDrive load problems (because that also exists, some times i need to enter GDrive to C3 detect it) and all the known problems with the cloud?

Is there a local copy of the open project to recover in this cases? i mean , i don't know, like the temp folder of C2 that a lot of times saved my life or something like that? backups must be fast saves so to the cloud isn't quite a good idea.

• My recommendation to you is to do what I do. Compulsively save like crazy. Save UP like crazy. We have a title releasing on steam in 9 days and I have 114 capx files. Assume you're going to lose everything - it's the only way to NOT lose anything.

I know that doesn't help you when it crashes when saving, but it will help minimize any major losses.

I'm banking on that desktop build at some point anyway..

• My recommendation to you is to do what I do. Compulsively save like crazy. Save UP like crazy. We have a title releasing on steam in 9 days and I have 114 capx files. Assume you're going to lose everything - it's the only way to NOT lose anything.

I know that doesn't help you when it crashes when saving, but it will help minimize any major losses.

I'm banking on that desktop build at some point anyway..

i know, luckly i do that. But im afraid that C3 is scaring me with this things, it was my first attemp to work with it and BAM! But beside that, i still using C3 with no really important projects.

• Google drive keep previous versions of your files. Right click a file a choose 'manage versions'.

• Google drive keep previous versions of your files. Right click a file a choose 'manage versions'.

there were no previus, it was the first save :I

• > Google drive keep previous versions of your files. Right click a file a choose 'manage versions'.

>

there were no previus, it was the first save :I

Thats rotten luck!

• and this happend again the FireFox explorer started to feel very slow and heavy (more than 2gb of ram eaten) so i decided to save, close and reopen, and when finished closed... reenter to ff, editor, and open the file in the cloud, the file was corrupted and now weights 0kb...

again, luckly was testing but here we have a huge problem. This method of saving directly into the cloud is NOT good at all. I was wondering again, Ashley , is it being saved locally and then uploaded or just directly into the cloud? if it is local, then there should be a method to recover the save in the temp folder of the computer?.

• kingpirux I would definitely recommend saving often, but even so if a save fails you should be able to try again? You can see the progress of file saves in a status message on the bottom left of the editor, and a dialog will appear if a save fails.

When saving to the cloud a dummy file is initially created with no content, then updated with the project contents. So if you see a 0kb file only the first half of the save worked.

Saves are created in memory then uploaded to the cloud, so there is kind of a local copy but it never exists on the filesystem. If you want there is an option to set up project autosaves in settings, you can set these to be saved to the browsers local storage so that your not completely reliant on your network connection. While these are stored on your hard disk you can't get to them via windows explorer and clearing your browser cache will delete them, so treat them as temporary storage!

• I would definitely recommend saving often, but even so if a save fails you should be able to try again? You can see the progress of file saves in a status message on the bottom left of the editor, and a dialog will appear if a save fails.

it was saved, and no message was prompt, maybe it could be saving in the background when i closed firefox but no warning was shown, i just saw that the "warning you can loose all your progress" only shows up if i didn't press the "save button", but DOESN'T show if it is DURING the saving process, so i can accidentally close the window and nothing stops it. You should move the warning until the entire saving process is complete.

When saving to the cloud a dummy file is initially created with no content, then updated with the project contents. So if you see a 0kb file only the first half of the save worked... ... Saves are created in memory then uploaded to the cloud, so there is kind of a local copy but it never exists on the filesystem.

Then why don't you just create that file in a safe and accesible area to avoid this kind of problems? i think that a few more seconds in saving process is worth the local secured backup,

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If you attempt to close the tab or the browser during a save then a dialog will pop up and tell you that it's still saving. Are you not seeing this?

The browser doesn't allow web applications to save files in user space for security reasons. We could save a copy in the browser cache before sending it, but there's situations where that could fail and it also slows down saving. As users can choose to save to the browser I'm not convinced it would help that much.

• Nepeo - shouldn't cloud saves be atomic? i.e. upload to a different file, then replace the target file with a move or something. If you just upload directly over the file and it cuts off half way, it might leave the file corrupt. (I'd have thought Google Drive itself would have something to make this atomic too...)

• Nepeo - shouldn't cloud saves be atomic? i.e. upload to a different file, then replace the target file with a move or something. If you just upload directly over the file and it cuts off half way, it might leave the file corrupt. (I'd have thought Google Drive itself would have something to make this atomic too...)

that's an intresting solution.

Drive have file history if you want to undo a last "update" but not the first one. so if this is the first save it will be imposible to solve. That's why im asking the method of upload, also, there should be a "recovery file" if the Construct Crash, so it recovers from the cache the last open file allowing to try again to save the file in the cloud (or choose to do locally to avoid problems)

Without this, then first file should be always local, to avoid this problems, maybe a warning before saving, like a recomendation.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)