I definitely think I found the culprit. I once again started with the flappy bird clone from the C3 home page.
1) I downloaded the zip with the cordova project.
2) I create a new cordova project from the command line: cordova create birds.
3) The only plugin with the default project is the whitelist one.
4) I replaced the www folder in the new cordova project with the www folder from the zip file
5) I built the app and installed it on my galaxy s6.
6) The game runs very smoothly using the default chrome web view on my phone.
7) I changed the package name in the config.xml file so I could install the game with new plugins side by side on my device.
8) I added the plugin cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine to the project.
9) I rebuilt the app and deployed it to my phone.
The game ran smooth without any additional plugins using the default chrome web view, but adding the cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine plugin caused the choppiness to appear, and it is very noticeable.