Construct 3 UI: Best Practices

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Best car suspension with spring effect and very cool terrain generation.
  • Hi, I used the ProUI plugin on a previous game project. A great plugin but which sadly is now seemingly a dead plugin. However, with the rise of the C3 html element plugin and the scene graph, things have become slightly easier than before to create a UI . But for me I am still confused about best practices for UI.

I have made games/apps with both pure html (for a yellow pages type app) and with the ProUI library in construct 3 (for a game), so I have experience in both, but I'm still not sure if the recommended approach for complex game UI would be raw C3 sprites or pure html...or a mix of the two? When I mean complex UI I mean something like an RPG with crafting/inventory screens etc.

Personally I love the rigidity and organization of html but I find it difficult to be visual and creative when developing for it. Maybe there are some recommended tools that could help with this?

I presume html would be the best approach, but if that is the case; are there any recommended workflows? Perhaps people use webflow and bring the code across or maybe there are other faster ways? Webflow looks good, but its pricey.

Chat GPT does a fairly good job in getting you started, but in cant do any of the texturing/icons artwork. Its only really good for the raw layout and even then you also have a lot of customization work to do afterwards.

I know that a lot of C3 devs just tend to make casual games that only require a super simple UI, but are there users with any tips or best practices in order to create larger scale UIs?

Thanks

Tagged:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Can I bump this one? I d like to get some feedback on any experiences people may have had. HTML or C3 hand rolled?

Cheers

• I don't see why you should try to make a UI in html. In games, we generally create all the artwork for the UIs and then add the codes behind them. For now I made simple menus, but always with monitor graphics behind them with effects and such. But I'm working on a project with a very complex UI, with dozens of monitors working as part of the rooms and a menu with a very complicated interface, all with hand-drawn graphics. It doesn't change anything compared to programming a traditional menu, you'll just need a lot of extra art. Here we are talking about graphic assets. The code is the same as in any area of the game. Doing it in HTML would only make your interface look like a website.

• Thanks, but really none of that makes any sense.

-Choosing HTML would NOT make an interface look like a website.(unless you wanted it too)

-If I choose html over traditional C3 objects then yes, programming approach is completely different. One uses html, css and javascript and the other other uses uses traditional C3 coding and the layout view visual setup (Scene graph hierarchies etc).

There are various advantages and disadvantages for each but I'm starting to think that html is now the better option.

As of the update yesterday(r369), the html object got a significant update allowing us to us html layers 'under or over' traditional c3 art layers. This makes the html approach even more appealing.

• Html is indeed becoming more and more viable with the latest updates. There is a lot of power in the possibility of using CSS animations and CSS styles like text and box shadows for elements.

I haven't done an entire UI using Html is Construct yet, but I might consider it in the future.

I guess to answer your question better, it would be helpful to know what your major pain points of creating the UI with sprites and events are. I think the recent introduction of dynamic layers helps a lot with UI, since one of my major issues has been the need to add layers with the same name to tens of layouts. It would be nice to have support for global layers for the dynamic layers feature still.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)