Can't Open any Projects on New PC

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
A space themed game with high quality 2D graphics and addictive music that provide hours of fun
  • Hi all, apologies not sure what else to do or where else to post this - I have just started using Construct on a new PC, and I can no longer open any of my projects. I get the error "Failed to open project. Check it is a valid Construct 3 single-file (.c3p) project." This is the same for every .c3p file, and the same message if I extract and try to open from as a project file.

I only use stable releases, and there has only been 1 update since I last opened these projects (268 - 276.2). I am using same O/S and same browser, and I use no 3rd party plugins. It feels like this must be something to do with my new PC, but I don't really understand what. Can anyone help?

EDIT: I've tried this on over 30 different projects with the same result. I've tried it on Edge and Chrome, same results.

• I would try opening them on another pc for a start. At least you will then know the problem is your new pc.

• Thanks that was a good call, because bizarrely it does work on a different PC or laptop. Opens as normal, both machines have same O/S & browser etc. The only difference I can think of is the anti-virus, but I tried disabling it and still won't open.

What is even stranger, on my new PC if I go back through the versions then it suddenly works on r251.2 (again this is completely vanilla C3 with no 3rd party addins)

What changed in that version I wonder? I can't have all 34 of my projects just suddenly not work on my new machine so really need to figure this out :(

• When an error occurs, press F12 and check the browser console for a more detailed error message. That may help identify what the problem is.

It's possible you have a browser extension that is interfering with Construct and causing problems. Try removing them one by one until you have no browser extensions and see if it starts working after removing one.

• Thanks Ashley, I did that and it's the same error on all the browsers (and with all extensions disabled):

Error: name already in object class namespace

(then it looks like it lists all the places the name already exists)

So I would guess that I had an instance variable that has since become a built-in property and they are clashing. I use a template as a starting point for all my projects which I guess would explain why they all stopped working at once. Because I can open on an old version I guess I will just have to go through and try to figure out the clash

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Update in case anyone else has a similar issue - I had instance variables called TileHeight and TileWidth, at some point these were added as built-in properties of the Tilemap object, so none of my projects would open (just got a 'not a valid c3p file' error). So anyway I had to go back and open them all in an older version of Construct, rename the instance variables and save.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)