caching problem

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
  • I host games on my website and have recently been having a problem when I make an update.

It seems that all the changes are not made at once, and sprites and text get mixed up. This occurs in Safari, Chrome and Edge. When I clear the browsers and reopen, then all is fine. But this is not something my average user can do (I have about 400 young children playing these games a day).

After researching this, it looks like it's due to proxy caching.

Is my only recourse to make sure my games are never cached? When I did this (in an .htaccess file), then all updates were fine, but now I lose the quicker loading from cache. If I have to choose, it would definitely be for the games to load perfectly with updates.

• When uploading a new game or updating, just use a different name from the preview one.

You can even use filename?v1 filename?v2

Not using cache is not a good approach in your case.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks - okay, so when I do that I see that I'm not getting a partial update (no messed up layouts). But when I F5 to refresh it doesn't update to the newest. I know this is kind of a separate problem. Would a good solution (to make sure user has the latest) be to have a php file with the latest version number, and then the app checks against that if not the same then the app forces a reload?

UGH, never mind. I tried the above and it only reloads from the browser.

• Are you using a static page on your website or a CMS?

• Are you using a static page on your website or a CMS?

I use a static page.

I just made sure I had all the MIMES set (I do), thought that was it since two of the required ones were missing, but I'm still not getting a complete update (sometimes it's half updated or not updated at all). When I go into F12 I see this:

And if I do a refresh when F12 is open, then everything loads. A refresh without F12 open does nothing.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)