C3 Spritesheet feature isn't true spritesheeting :(

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Math questions appear quickly on the page, so you must respond quickly to get points!
  • So C3 auto-generates the spritesheets, but that doesn't help people that want to CREATE and USE spritesheets in their projects.

I wanted to be able to create my spritesheets in a paint program and import that sheet, because then I could just edit the sheet in the program more easily to redraw parts if necessary, etc. That way I can just work on one image file instead of have to split it up into different images and import each one.

So this auto-generating spritesheet doesn't help in the PROCESS, because the process in C3 is still the same (you haven't shown otherwise), and the way it sounds is it just generates it in editor so that you can see the final output and also save on image quantity when exported (again, this doesn't change or improve the process of creating a project).

Can we at least gain the ability to USE spritesheets in the editor???

• Don't those have to include a file with placement information?

That would mean someone would have make a way to parse that file, as well as create ways to manipulate images in editor.

Then, would people have to be able to import a file type, meaning pick an existing editor, and use its format?

• Don't those have to include a file with placement information?

That would mean someone would have make a way to parse that file, as well as create ways to manipulate images in editor.

Then, would people have to be able to import a file type, meaning pick an existing editor, and use its format?

Well, I thought C3 would be handling all that when they promised Spritesheeting. But it looks like they haven't implemented any spritesheeting tools to allow importing spritesheets and editing them, choosing the frames on them, etc.

They just chose the easy way out in my opinion- and it doesn't help the process of creating sprites.

I feel like I've been lied to.

• Im mostly interested in looking at the use of an external editor.

Unlike tilemaps where there is a ubiquitous editor like Tiled, there are dozens of spritesheet editors.

• Im mostly interested in looking at the use of an external editor.

Unlike tilemaps where there is a ubiquitous editor like Tiled, there are dozens of spritesheet editors.

As long as it improved the process, I'd be supportive of c3 importing from one of those.

The big issue I have with current way construct handles sprites is that you have to work on each frame separately, and are forced to click through each frame/animation and struggle with the UI. It is very cumbersome for setting up sprites/animations and maintaining them if you make changes to graphics.

There are so many ways it can be improved, and it's frustrating to see no progress made in this area.

It seems like they are complacent with the actual editor stuff.. we haven't really seen any big changes to the way we use the editor.

• If you work with an artist who doesn't use C2 to make assets, and update assets to you every week, you'll feel the pain.

• The spritesheeting feature isn't for animation. It's used to pack sprites together to increase performance at runtime. Other engines refer to it as a texture atlas.

• The spritesheeting feature isn't for animation. It's used to pack sprites together to increase performance at runtime. Other engines refer to it as a texture atlas.

I want to USE spritesheets. I don't want construct to generate them and not allow me to handle them in any way.

I need better ways to WORK WITH my art/graphics so I can develop more efficiently. This is my point here.

• I guess the last big incentive for me to consider C3 just got nuked. Ah well.

The spritesheeting feature isn't for animation. It's used to pack sprites together to increase performance at runtime. Other engines refer to it as a texture atlas.

When you have hundreds of frames you need to change you'll realize just how big an inconvenience it is to do it on a frame-by-frame basis.

• I want to USE spritesheets. I don't want construct to generate them and not allow me to handle them in any way.

I need better ways to WORK WITH my art/graphics so I can develop more efficiently. This is my point here.

I get you. I was just explaining that the "spritesheeting" feature as they called it in the blog (which will confuse some people) has nothing to do with the creation or editing of sprites in the editor.

I wanted to be able to create my spritesheets in a paint program and import that sheet, because then I could just edit the sheet in the program more easily to redraw parts if necessary, etc. That way I can just work on one image file instead of have to split it up into different images and import each one.

You can already do this, no?

• >

> I wanted to be able to create my spritesheets in a paint program and import that sheet, because then I could just edit the sheet in the program more easily to redraw parts if necessary, etc. That way I can just work on one image file instead of have to split it up into different images and import each one.

>

You can already do this, no?

Nope. As far as I know, the best you can do is re-import single-frame images.

• You can currently import an animation from a spritestrip, but this doesn't solve all the issues. This effectively forces you to reset all the imagepoints as well as collision polygons (because they import as new frames), and it only imports for one animation. You still have to manage multiple images this way instead of just one.

• Supposedly C3 was to give us a way to implement things like this via an editor sdk.

Its one of the main features imo, but it's only been six weeks of blogs, and 2 years of silently waiting for updates.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Supposedly C3 was to give us a way to implement things like this via an editor sdk.

Its one of the main features imo, but it's only been six weeks of blogs, and 2 years of silently waiting for updates.

An editor sdk that allows such feature to be implemented would be C3's saving grace for me. I don't know why they wouldn't announce that sooner rather than later.

• Reading between the lines of the blog posts it seems like the editor SDK wont be a launch feature

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)