Is c3-runtime viable on android?

0 favourites
  • Anyway any device that shipped any time in the past 2 years should have come with sufficiently up-to-date software out of the box to work just fine. So it seems to be old devices that haven't had any software updates - not even app updates - for a few years.

The problem is, even if there are only 5% of all app-downloads which have the white-screen error, it's very bad for your game. You get a Google-Dev-Score (you can display it somewhere in the dev-console). And if this "crash-score" is that high (yes 5% is very high!), you get a message there and your game won't get recommended in the recommended games sections. And that's the best way to get free users for your app.

I've update my app now with the current C3 version, hopefully it's fixed now so that there is displayed a message instead of the white-screen.

Best regards.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • CGamez

You could probably cut those 5% of users off by building apk for android 7+ only.

• The problem is, even if there are only 5% of all app-downloads which have the white-screen error, it's very bad for your game.

It's not actually clear that this is the same problem as described here. Normally an error message should appear telling people to update. Old devices with out-of-date software often also have buggy GPU drivers, which can cause problems like only displaying a blank screen. This type of problem also happens a lot and is unfortunately inherent to the Android ecosystem, affecting any kind of app using OpenGL.

As far as I can tell our "not supported" screen is working - you can see it in old browsers like Internet Explorer where it appears correctly, and we've not had any other reports of the screen not appearing (indeed any questions usually refer to the text of the message and asking more about what it means, suggesting it showed OK). So I suspect that actually there is something else going on - or a combination of both issues, perhaps - so solving the webview issue may well not actually fix the blank screen problem, nor completely stop 1-star reviews (which lots of people seem to submit arbitrarily, even for apps like Construct 3 itself). It's important to fully diagnose what's really going on before jumping to a conclusion, to avoid being sent on a wild goose chase that may not actually help.

• You could probably cut those 5% of users off by building apk for android 7+ only.

Not really, I have this issue on 7.0. Also by excluding everything below 7.0 you exclude 30% of users who have Android 5.0, 5.1, 6.0

• CGamez

You could probably cut those 5% of users off by building apk for android 7+ only.

I think this is what my stance is going to be moving forward. It sucks a bit, but having looked through other Construct games on the Play Store, the number one running theme for 1 star reviews is 'it doesn't work'.

• Giving 1 star reviews to a game because it does not work on your device is idiotic and should be considered as abuse or a fake review ( you cannot review something you did not play )

But, I guess while Google is busy working on AI there is no actual I anywhere near that place.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)