Which to buy

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
  • So I am currently planning to purchase construct but I'm unsure if I should get construct 2 or 3 to develop my first game. Can someone help me decide which one I should use? I don't know what the difference between the two are other than construct one being a one time payment and construct 3 being a yearly subscription.

• New users should get Construct 3. It's actively developed and getting new features and improvements all the time. There's a list of all the new features Construct 3 has over Construct 2 here. At this point, Construct 2 is only being maintained with bug fixes.

• Construct 2 and 3 currently have the same runtime/performance for now, and very similar interfaces.

Construct 3 is slightly easier to make native apps for mobile, and the editor works in the browser even on phones and tablets.

Construct 2 means not paying yearly if you want to practice or make games for free. When you are ready to develop conmercially you can always upgrade to C3 and still keep your lifetime C2 license.

Plus, Construct 2 is $70 USD cheaper right now, price goes up March 12th.

Edit: Also C3 for beginners? C2 has the most resources, videos, examples, tutorials, and plugins right now so I have to disagree there.

• So I am currently planning to purchase construct but I'm unsure if I should get construct 2 or 3 to develop my first game. Can someone help me decide which one I should use? I don't know what the difference between the two are other than construct one being a one time payment and construct 3 being a yearly subscription.

If using Construct for "fun" go with C2, if using Construct for "business" go with C2 - though it seems support is lacking now.

The issue with C3 is that unless you keep paying that yearly subscription, your projects will disappear.

• Your projects do not disappear if your C3 subscription expires. You can still open them, preview them, export artwork and other assets etc. It's only the ability to edit them that expires.

Also, many existing C2 tutorials should be straightforward to apply to C3 as well - the UIs are generally similar.

• New users should get Construct 3. It's actively developed and getting new features and improvements all the time. There's a list of all the new features Construct 3 has over Construct 2 here. At this point, Construct 2 is only being maintained with bug fixes.

Which would you recommend to new users who are without internet 6-8 months out of the year (Navy servicemember who deploys often)? Will the offline mode time restriction be a limiting factor in this scenario?

• You need to be connected at least once every 7 days to use a Construct 3 subscription: https://www.construct.net/make-games/manuals/construct-3/getting-started/using-an-account

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • C3--I edit on my 7inch android while I commute, send it to google when I get off the subway and pick it up again on my windows PC at my office. C3 is very convenient.

And its a cheap 100 dollar android (2GB memory, 16GB storage).

• Admin: removed part of post telling people to use other software

The features there is way better and Construct 3 is an incomplete product especially with the current SDK limitation, trust me!

But if you are a startup and have low in funds... Then I guess Construct 3 is fine.

But don't buy Construct 2 anymore, for it is outdated and currently overpriced after the price raise to encourage new users to subscribe to Construct 3 instead.

• - we don't mind discussion of competitors, but telling people to go and use different software on our own forum is a step too far. Please refrain from making such posts.

• Ashley

- we don't mind discussion of competitors, but telling people to go and use different software on our own forum is a step too far. Please refrain from making such posts.

Ohh, sorry about that. Construct 3 is excellent for startups though.

And all of that are true.

• Admin: removed part of post telling people to use other software

The features there is way better and Construct 3 is an incomplete product especially with the current SDK limitation, trust me!

But if you are a startup and have low in funds... Then I guess Construct 3 is fine.

But don't buy Construct 2 anymore, for it is outdated and currently overpriced after the price raise to encourage new users to subscribe to Construct 3 instead.

Does Construct 2 have the issue where you have to connect to the internet every 7 days to verify? I can't use Construct 3 since I'm without internet 6-8 months out of the year on average.

• jkh0208

Does Construct 2 have the issue where you have to connect to the internet every 7 days to verify? I can't use Construct 3 since I'm without internet 6-8 months out of the year on average.

No. Construct 2 is an offline application, so you don't have to update or re-login every 7 days unlike Construct 3.

The benefit of Construct 3's online subscription is that you have constant update and support for new features, bug fixes, 3rd party compatibility, technology updates and etc. This is very essential for developers who commercialize their games.

If you don't have internet for that long period of time and maybe constantly travel and/or are on remote places. Then, I assume you don't make commercial games and do this mainly as a hobby. Then, I do think and recommend you go with Construct 2.

I remind you though that Construct 2 is 1.6x more expensive than it was before. And also, it is outdated and Construct 3 was made to replace Construct 2.

Construct 3 :: $99.00 per year.

Construct 2 Before :: $120.00. One-time payment.

Construct 2 Now :: $199.00. One-time payment.

• And also, it is outdated

More like it's no longer upgraded, rather than "outdated". Updates for bugs, and fixes will remain for the foreseeable future.

They run on the same platforms, and C3 has improvements based on lessons learned form C2, just as C2 has for Construct Classic.

You should look at the subscription plan as a method to do away with having to release a new product ever so often.

Again, lessons learned.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)