Building a layout from smaller ones

0 favourites
  • 2 posts
From the Asset Store
Isometric Stategy Roleplay Game Building and Streets Pack.
  • Hi all, I'm trying to figure out how to build a big layout dynamically from smaller pieces stored as separate layouts.

Basically I want to randomly create a level layout by stitching together smaller prebuilt layouts (consisting of sprite objects, collision objects and tilemap data). If you're familiar with Spelunky, it does something similar as its initial level generation step.

Is there a standard way to do this in C3?

Thank you!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It will not be possible to store each piece in a separate layout. Here is what I usually do when I need to randomly generate a level from pre-made scenes:

I put all scenes on the layout, somewhere outside of visible area. Scenes (yellow rectangles on the screenshot) have 'type' instance variable defined with values like 'easy', 'medium', 'hard'. This allows to build levels of different difficulties, and mix and match them, for example 5 medium scenes + 3 hard.

All objects on the scenes are added to one or two big families, in this case "Entities" for sprites and "Obstacles_TB" for tiled backgrounds.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)