will browsing kill C3 performance while working?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • i just imagined if Google Chrome takes around 2GB of ram (and 5 to 7 tasks) just for Facebook and youtube, and im really sure most people here work while listening to music on youtube or browsing Facebook, will that ruin the tool's performance??

• Good point. I'm interested to know this aswell..

• This is the biggest problem - as someone whose entire work software suite is effectively cloud based, Chrome can pack up and run out of memory pretty easily; and that's just using stuff like Google Sheets, YouTube, a CMS or two and some background apps like Harvest, Trello and Slack.

I can only imagine it works, otherwise Scirra would not have pursued it, but given my experience of Chrome buckling under would I would classify as lightweight dev, I have no idea how it could handle a development IDE that's pulling in graphic files, rendering animations and outputting canvas games.

• I won't use Chrome for performance reasons. I don't know why Scirra guys chose Chrome over user's preferences, that's really stupid idea.

• I can only imagine that spaceblaster was their testing metric.

• not even google drive runs smoothly on google's own browser.

• I won't use Chrome for performance reasons. I don't know why Scirra guys chose Chrome over user's preferences, that's really stupid idea.

Scirra must have thought we would love it.

*facepalm*

They sacrificed almost everything just for multi-platform and multi-language support.

*double face-palm*

I don't want to be rude but this is too much to ignore.

• calling a website multiplatform...

• calling a website multiplatform...

If they made mobile support to work with C3, I will be impressed.

• If they made mobile support to work with C3, I will be impressed.

GDevelop has a mobile app, by using which you can make games with your phone. And that is yet not as powerful as their desktop version, may still make you feel impressed

• >

> If they made mobile support to work with C3, I will be impressed.

>

>

GDevelop has a mobile app, by using which you can make games with your phone. And that is yet not as powerful as their desktop version, may still make you feel impressed

I guess I'm going to stick with GDevelop

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • At this moment I working on a pretty large project.. over 7000 sprites in animations, ~100 sounds, a lot of webgl fx on sprites and layers. It's already hard to work in standalone editor for my i5(pastgen)+gtx760+16gb Ram. What if I open this project in browser-based editor? I think the browser will dead.. online/offline - doesn't matter - it's a browser with browser's limits

• Even if some other browser tab doesn't take out the C3 IDE tab by crashing (sandboxing, but I don't think that's perfected yet), I can have 100 tabs open for days and eventually the browser becomes unresponsive (to the point that I can't do anything in a tab... like save work) so you have to kill and restart the whole browser.

A browser IDE is a nice cheap solution for being able to run your software on any platform, but a total non-starter for me for anything I need to rely on for doing critical work.

• Why is this even a thing to talk about? What kind of browser you used that does not have multiprocessing feature? Chrome was built upon it that stops other tabs that is non responsive to affect every other tab. Even Firefox has it now and is improving well. The only limitation is your computer hardware and talking about working on a large project, you are not a ordinary hobbyist. If that's the case you should get a better hardware, even for the sake of using the heavy laggy GMS2 or 3D engines like Unreal and Unity . No one here knows how C3 will run yet and how it manages to perform.

What I'm trying to say is don't judge with assumptions. Scirra tries to be transparent and announce the hard part first. Their upcoming news in the following weeks will cover it all. I like this approach than telling later after the product was launched. Now that I'm mentally prepared I can calm down and see what C3 has to offer.

• Why is this even a thing to talk about? What kind of browser you used that does not have multiprocessing feature? Chrome was built upon it that stops other tabs that is non responsive to affect every other tab. Even Firefox has it now and is improving well. The only limitation is your computer hardware and talking about working on a large project, you are not a ordinary hobbyist. If that's the case you should get a better hardware...

As I said above, even with sandboxing, I can get unresponsive tabs/entire browsers (Firefox & Chrome) plenty (not every day, but several times a month, probably weekly), and not just from crashed tabs but (presumably) desktop heap/browser instability issues.

Running the latest versions of Firefox & Chrome (stable) on Windows 10, x99 board, 6-core 5820k, 16 GB DDR4.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)