8 bit PNG with 2 unique colors optimization.

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
94 Inside buildings views - Isometric view - PNG transparent - 2048x2048
  • Hello and thanks for your attention,

I’m using C3 and I have a sprite with several 480x512 images.

The images have been created as a 8bit PNG files with 2 unique colors using GIMP (black and transparent).

I did decide to use 2 unique colors because I do need just these 2 colors and last but not least file size reduction.

Said that, I have some questions:

1) In terms of project file(.C3P), APK or other export format, is the PNG converted or it keeps the original size and format within the export package?

2) Of course images are obviously decompressed in memory while they are used. Are all frames of the same sprite decompressed if not all frames are used? (I ask this because I’ll probably have 1 sprite with more than 1000 frames with images mentioned before but I’ll use just 10 frames at the same time)

3) Once one of the above 8-PNG files are imported into a sprite and I try to edit a frame with the integrated C3 editor I’m not able to understand the type of PNG I’m editing (32/24/8 PNG). What if I actually perform some edit to the 8-PNG image? Does it maintain the 8-PNG 2 unique color mode? (I’m asking this because the imported, ready to use, images might need a last minute modification and the internal C3 image editor would be fine for that edit but I would like be sure it will preserve the original properties)

4) I did try and it looks fine but do you confirm that if I save the mentioned modified frame the same format, compression, mode of the original file will be used into the saved file?

Thanks a lot.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think the memory usage guide in the manual and tutorial on Construct 3's export optimisations should answer all of these.

• I think the memory usage guide in the manual and tutorial on Construct 3's export optimisations should answer all of these.

Hello Ashley thank you for your reply. I missed your second link it answers all my questions and clarify another doubt I was having regarding a rendering issue on which side by side sprites were creating a flickering unexpected line between them. Is that related to the power-of-two size of the sprite (remember? my sprite size is 480x512). Basing on your documentation reducing the size to 480x510 will remove the artifact?

and... thanks again.

Riccardo

• I don't know, I can only guess from descriptions like that. It's easiest to share a project demonstrating the issue.

• It is probably faster for me try to change the the sprite and confirm you the results. I'll reply you back as soon as I did reconfigure the affected sprites.

Thanks

• I don't know, I can only guess from descriptions like that. It's easiest to share a project demonstrating the issue.

Yes the problem was cause by the power-of-two sprite size. Reconfiguring the sprite to 510 instead of 512 fix the artifact.

Thank you!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)