Better control of sprite sheeting

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Minimal Sprite Font with Stroke for Pixel Art games.
  • I have this challenge selection screen with high res icons.

I'm using one of the game's background objects for the background decoration of this screen (the mountain).

I don't use any of the icons during the game itself.

This is one example, I have like 3 large filled sheets with just one small object I really use in gameplay.

I'm sure that's not efficient for the game.

Other then removing that mountain from the challenges screen and creating it in run-time (which in turns cause legs in image loading), which if I understand right suppose to remove it from this sheet, is there another way I can handle this kind of cases?

Ashley

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Construct uses the placement of objects on layouts as a way to group objects that are used on layouts together on to the same spritesheet. So which layouts are these objects used on? If none of them are used on the same layout then perhaps there's something could be improved in the way Construct analyses this. However it might be something else, like relying on dynamically creating objects at runtime without them being placed in the layout, in which case Construct can't analyse which objects are used together. As ever it's easier to comment if there's a sample project provided.

• In this is the other way around, because they are already on the layout they get on the sprite, but the wrong one.

What about giving us the option to select on which sprite sheet it will fit and we'll decide what is important where?

• Making a sample project with just these object will probably change how the sprite sheets are created.

Here are all the refrences to this object, it is used in all the castles and the main game layout and also in the challenges layout, they are not created dynamically anywhere.

• Maybe an over-ride flag on a sprite object to manually attach it to a layout.

Most of the images went into the right sheets, it's just a matter of 2-3 images that get on the wrong sheet.

• Maybe an over-ride flag on a sprite object to manually attach it to a layout.

Most of the images went into the right sheets, it's just a matter of 2-3 images that get on the wrong sheet.

• It's difficult to imagine a useful feature where you manually choose a spritesheet, because all spritesheets are dynamically created on-the-fly and they could be completely rearranged with even a small change. Pinning sprites to a specific sheet could also even result in even less optimal results, since it removes Construct's flexibility to later group the sprite with a better sheet.

Does this actually have any meaningful impact on the memory use of your game? It's unlikely any automatic spritesheeting algorithm will ever be perfect, and manual intervention could make things worse. So one or two spritesheets that aren't ideal may be an acceptable result.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)