beta r252 - extremely bad jank in Android builds

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
  • Ashley C3 beta r252 has introduced bad jank in Android exports.

If I export my game from C3 r252 with Web Worker enabled, what Im seeing is periods of smooth jank-free game play punctuated by peroids of severe jank. I can play jank-free for say 30 secs, then there will be a period of 15 seconds where game play displays severe jank, then it will go back to jank-free gameplay.

Prior to r247 my game had some issues with mild but noticable jank. Changes you made to 'frame scheduling' in r247 bascially removed jank entirely from my game (jank ~95% gone Id say). C3 builds r247 - r251 have been brilliant: Android exports have had smooth jank-free gameplay. But r252 is a major step backwards, jank is back and much worse in my game.

In the release notes you say beta r252 introduces support for Web Worker mode in Android exports. I guess its related?

Ill be going back to C3 r251 for the moment.

• If you believe it's due to worker mode, just turn it off again and test..

• Yes if I disable worker mode and export for Android (C3 r252), gameplay is jank-free.

EDIT

Maybe Im not clear above? The point is fredriksthlm , C3 r252 has introduced support for worker mode in Android apps for the first time. We should see improved performance on Android with worker mode enabled. But Im seeing a clear reduction in performance relative to Android apps exported from C3 r247 thru r251..

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I understood you fine, but you said you went back to old version of the software instead of actually verifying the setting. It's always better to track down the root cause.

Just out of curiosity, which version of webview do you use?

do you have any 3rd party plugins?

• Ah I see what you mean. Fair point.

Im using WebView Canary (currently 93.0.4543.0) on a Pixel 4a

No third party plugins.

• I tried this on a Pixel 3 and it was perfectly smooth.

The canary WebView may be unstable. Have you tried using the latest stable WebView?

Also which device are you using specifically?

• Ashley

I'm using a Pixel 4a.

Jank is present with both latest stable WebView and latest canary WebView.

If I ENABLE worker mode in r252 > export Android App > I see jank as described in first post.

If I DISABLE worker mode in r252 > export Android App > Game plays smoothly, no jank.

If I export from r251 > Game plays smoothly, no jank.

• I just tried exporting the 'Flying along' template to Android in r252 with worker mode 'Auto', and played it for a couple of minutes. It looked reasonably smooth throughout.

Could you file an issue with Google at crbug.com and let me know the bug number? Normally only Google can deal with jank issues as they occur in the browser engine, not Construct.

• Ashley C3 beta r252 has introduced bad jank in Android exports.

If I export my game from C3 r252 with Web Worker enabled, what Im seeing is periods of smooth jank-free game play punctuated by peroids of severe jank. I can play jank-free for say 30 secs, then there will be a period of 15 seconds where game play displays severe jank, then it will go back to jank-free gameplay.

Prior to r247 my game had some issues with mild but noticable jank. Changes you made to 'frame scheduling' in r247 bascially removed jank entirely from my game (jank ~95% gone Id say). C3 builds r247 - r251 have been brilliant: Android exports have had smooth jank-free gameplay. But r252 is a major step backwards, jank is back and much worse in my game.

In the release notes you say beta r252 introduces support for Web Worker mode in Android exports. I guess its related?

Ill be going back to C3 r251 for the moment.

It would be better to share the APK file. At least Ashley can himself see the janks

• I'd be keen to know if anyone else publishing to Android is experiencing similar when exporting from C3 r252 with worker mode enabled?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)