I ask you to modify the system for selecting an object and a layer on which the object is located.

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • I ask you to modify the system for selecting an object and a layer on which the object is located.

Now all the work is happening on the layer that was selected initially, which is extremely inconvenient. When you select an object on another layer and say you copy it, it is inserted on that layer on which you find it initially. As a result, then you have to manually check all objects and mix them in layers.

It would be logical that when selecting an object, the program automatically switched to its layer and all the work was done on the layer of the given object.

This will greatly simplify life.

• Object overruling layer seems wrong, the layer bar is there to select your layer. If you have trouble with objects on varied layers you can select it in object bar which will select all of that object type, you can set them all to the same layer with one change.

• Object overruling layer seems wrong, the layer bar is there to select your layer. If you have trouble with objects on varied layers you can select it in object bar which will select all of that object type, you can set them all to the same layer with one change.

It's not a problem. And in the convenience of work and optimization. This is how all programs work, starting from Photoshop and ending with video editing.

The main thing is the object and not the layer.

And now I say on layer 1 I have object A, then I choose say object B which I have on layer 2 I copy it and paste it, but object B is inserted not on layer 2 but on layer 1 because the layer does not switch when I select an object. As a result, you do not follow this, and by the end of the scene you have a house in the layout since all the objects are not located on their layers.

In order for this to happen, you don’t have to reinvent the wheel, just make all the programs ryut out, when you select an object, the layer on which it is located is activated.

• Yes. this is annoying. because this also makes it possible to paste objects into locked layers, which should not happen. If layers automatically switched to selected objects' layer it would not be possible because you cannot select something on a locked layer.

• +1 i hope this gets some attention, its been the reason for misplacing objects

once you established your layers and objects, selecting the object should put you in that layer,

it's more intuitive to work like this, you know a certain object belongs to a layer, so selecting that object and then creating a new object will also be on that layer

• when u copy paste things, you have to make sure you select the proper layer before you paste, same as with photoshop as you mentioned it.

in photoshop when you paste something it goes to the selected layer and incremental if u don't paste inside the layer, in construct happens the same.

so you have to select the layer by clicking it before paste.

• Yeah, but it is possible to accidentally not select the right layer, or for some reason you click to select a layer, but it does not register thus not switching to that layer.

As far as I remember in Flash it worked this way and was better ( the way we are suggesting ). In Photoshop, at least the version I have, you can paste things into locked layers, but then you cannot select them unless you unlock, which is stupid. If a layer is locked, then it is locked, meaning you should not be able to change anything on it.

I know this is not a major issue, but not being able to paste objects into locked layers and automatically switching to the layer where selected object resides would improve things.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • when u copy paste things, you have to make sure you select the proper layer before you paste, same as with photoshop as you mentioned it.

in photoshop when you paste something it goes to the selected layer and incremental if u don't paste inside the layer, in construct happens the same.

so you have to select the layer by clicking it before paste.

In general, when you select an object in PhotoShop, its layer is turned on and, with all the desire, you can insert this object into the same layer.

• if you're comparing photoshop you have to compare it with layer-groups in photoshop, the layers within are the objects or the sprites

if you have a "UI" group , clicking or selecting one of the "UI"-elements, jumps to the group that element is in, newly created objects will be on top of this selected object within that group

in construct, if you select a button on the UI layer you are not actually working on that layer, so you always have to double check what layer you're on..

while if you established your objects on various layers, they work as a shortcut to the layer you want to work on

• I don't play with layers, but what you say is logical, if I copy an object on a layer, no matter what I do next, if I paste this object, it should go on the layer or it has been copied ! imagine that I select several objects, on different layers, the right logic would be that it is pasted on their respective layer because otherwise you have to put each object on its correct layer, it's not at all productive !!

We can imagine options of the style:

Paste the objects on their respective layers

Paste the objects on the layer n°: Under menu -> As many menu as layers:

Ex: if I have 4 layers

Paste the objects on the layer n°: Under menu -> 1

• Dayvid86 not sure if i understand your logic for several objects

if you group select, cut and paste, all the objects will be paste on the active layer, that is standard way

what we are talking about is when you click an object , the layer it's on will be activated,

that does mean if you would copy and paste an object it would stay on the same layer (correctly so)

it also means if you cut an object , then select another object and do paste , you know its on the same layer as the object you previous selected (this is not possible right now)

• Resurrecting this after 2 months after spending 10 minutes with Construct 3.

The way it works now is terrible and should be addressed as soon as possible.

Picking any object should also select the layer object is on and you should not be able to paste things onto locked layers. If you copy/paste and move things between layers the current setup wastes a lot of time especially if you make a mistake ( which is easy due to the way this all works right now )

• Now that I work with the layers, I can say that it's not perfect!

In my opinion, it is essential to improve this as soon as possible!

When you create a new object, it should appear on the desired layer!

For example, if only one layer is "visible", the object is then placed on this layer

and not on one that's not visible or locked!

If they are all visible, why not ask or place it?

We have to react quickly, it's not pleasant this situation!!!!!

Is that taken into account?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)